Call for an Official Tool for Encrypting Mod Codes

Title: Call for an Official Tool for Encrypting Mod Codes

Dear Forum Manager,

I've been dedicating countless hours to writing and perfecting my mod codes, pouring my heart and soul into every line. However, I've recently realized that there's a significant risk of others directly copying my work without any acknowledgment or consent. This is not just about the effort I've put in but also about the uniqueness and creativity that my mods bring to the community.

While I understand the need for transparency and ease of access for moderators and official reviewers, I also value the protection of my intellectual property. Therefore, I'm hoping that the official team could consider developing a tool that allows us, as mod authors, to encrypt our codes.

Such a tool would not only safeguard our codes from being easily copied but also ensure that the review process remains unhindered. With encryption, the moderators and reviewers would still be able to access and evaluate the functionality of our mods without being able to see the underlying code directly. This way, we can maintain the integrity of our work while still adhering to the community's standards and guidelines.

Moreover, encrypted codes could also serve as a deterrent for some mod authors who might be tempted to create paid skins or mods based on others' hard work. With encryption in place, it would be much more difficult for them to profit from someone else's creativity and effort.

I believe that such a tool would be a win-win situation for both the mod authors and the official team. It would protect our intellectual property, encourage more creativity and uniqueness in mods, and ultimately enhance the overall experience for the community.

I hope that this suggestion resonates with many of you and that the official team would consider it seriously. Thank you for your attention and support!

• Shopcat 1

definitely wouldn't want to have any more mods with encrypted code, atm you can pretty much learn how to make DST mods by looking at other mods' code as examples, but if that'd happen, you wouldn't be able to do that, i don't see how that benefits anyone at all, how someone looking at your code as an example hurts you? even if they'd copy your mod, you wouldn't lose anything because you don't gain anything from publishing a mod on the workshop

• Like 6

I don't think Klei even released a TEX compiling tool for modders which isn't lossy (all mod textures get graphical bugs unlike official klei ones with random pixels or big lines vanishing randomly sometimes) and definitely they wouldn't encryption tool

even then encryption tool for mods would be so awful, there are some which feel like encrypted already which is dislike a lot like myth words and several mods which have "dyn" textures i refuse to use those mods. the workshop is already full of a lot of junk and that's with basically every mod's code and stuff being available for others to learn from if most mods especially the good ones which people can actually learn stuff from just all can be encrypted it would make it even worse because then newcomers wouldn't even have the chance to try to learn how to make stuff other than what easy tutorials exist for already like a character and workshop would have no hope of anything interesting coming out except from modding veterans which will eventually retire with nobody to take their place

Edited by . . .
  • Like 1