If Klei let followers sail, what controls would you guys want for them?

11 hours ago, CuteC said:

Something like this would make the game feel more alive even if you're by yourself, also would make solo sailing better which I imagine isn't exactly a fun activity.

Well, it seems as though some people enjoy sailing as-is, which is actually a big part of why I feel having followers address the problem could be an elegant solution - it lets the existing mechanics stay in place while still offering an alternative to anyone who wants it.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:32 PM, Masked Koopa said:

it lets the existing mechanics stay in place while still offering an alternative to anyone who wants it.

I am all for alternatives on things you'd otherwise not be able to do (or you would have a lot of trouble attempting), if this ever happens (probably unlikely) it could open up more qol for solo peeps.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:22 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Sure having to interact with each part of the boat is fun when playing in a group, but it’s a painful experience when playing solo.

I’m not entirely sure if followers would be able to fix that either.

Well, the main question would be what exactly do you think followers lack that they'd have to be able to do for you to be satisfied? I think it'd be interesting to hear your take given you play on console.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:35 AM, Well-met said:

they would be a hindrance and a huge developer time sink.

handling a boat solo isnt difficult to learn

I'm sorry but I really can't agree with this approach to viewing features. For you and others it may be a "get good" thing, but when a complaint is frequent enough I think it cannot hurt to look into creating a solution. I have seen a lot of people pine for SW boats in response to the complexity of DST boats, and I think that is an inferior solution since it bypasses what makes DST boats interesting. I think follower-based sailing would handily solve this by allowing you to use the boats "together" even if you are alone.

I'd be interested to know what aspects of it you consider a hinderance though, ideally whatever change were to happen wouldn't impact the playstyle of those not wanting to use it.