Ambient sounds and darkness

I noticed this a couple times but never really mentioned it before, has anyone else noticed that you seem to be able to hear more of the ambient sounds when you are in complete darkness?

This made me kinda sad mostly because it feels like there is more to hear and the world that your in feels more alive when sounds and visuals come together, but in this case when visuals are gone, all your left with is sound. 

I wish I could have the ambient sounds be at full volume with out messing with sound settings, I kinda just end up blasting my ears then every time I go into darkness for a split second like when im wandering mushroom fields. 

Does any one know why the ambient sounds seem to amplify in the dark?  

Edited by ZeRoboButler
  • Like 2

It's an intentional design choice that's been there since singleplayer Don't Starve. This is a bit of the code that handles it:

elseif _lightattenuation and player.LightWatcher ~= nil then
        --Night/dusk ambience is attenuated in the light
        local lightval = player.LightWatcher:GetLightValue()
        local highlight = .9
        local lowlight = .2
        local lowvolume = .5
        ambientvolume = (lightval > highlight and lowvolume) or
                        (lightval < lowlight and 1) or
                        easing.outCubic(lightval - lowlight, 1, lowvolume - 1, highlight - lowlight)

_lightattenuation is disabled during the day (not in the caves), and is otherwise simply just meant to do that, stuff gets louder in the dark. The intention could be to give the player an audible indicator about being in the dark, but in the form of ambience itself, or to potentially put the player on edge, or both, or something else entirely. Dunno, I always thought it was a cool detail, how you can't see so stuff gets louder/overwhelming.

I do wonder if this isn't intended to work with DST's night vision, since it's proper night vision in this game.

• Like 3