Wilson x Misery Toadstool.

On the first day of the game you can activate the event (Shadow Rifts), if you don't want to face Ancient Fuelweaver (official choice of developers).

Time taken for a standard character (1x): 25 minutes.

3 Moose/Gooses (+ Moslings) in the first spring guarantees around 45 Down Feathers. It's easy to multiply to 110 (Deconstruction Staff + Construction Amulet).

Just use the same multiplication technique in Void Robe.

Conclusion:
1. 25 minutes in a once-in-the-world fight to get the Napsack blueprint. You will never need to look at this giant again.
2. You will spend a lot more time to have the resources to make many Glowcaps (which is the focus of those who want to defeat the boss).
3. You will spend even more time defeating the Celestial Champion multiple times (37,000 life for each fight) to obtain many Enlightened Shards. 3 times after fighting this boss you will already have more than 99,999 health.
4. Real risk of being killed by the giant even if you make several mistakes: very low.
5. If it were a Wolfgang...

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 1

Haven't read the post, but yeah, I like the ship. They look good together, Toadstool is such a sweet boy (girl? idk, I haven't seen anyone addressing Toadstool's gender yet).

• Health 6
  • Sanity 1

Hey buddy, let's put aside the console and do the math. How many Green Gems will this cost us - the only rare resource in the late game? To make 11 Weather Pains, we'll need at least 55 Down Feathers and 2.2 Construction Amulets. And to go from 45 to 55, we'll need 0.2 Construction Amulets to craft Deconstruction Staffs, then consume 0.4 Construction Amulets and 0.4 Deconstruction Staffs, totaling 3.2 Green Gems. That's not a small number for unlucky players, especially when Weather Pains are needed for Misery Toadstool, AFW, and CK; and Green Gems are also required for Thulecite Crown, Scaled Flooring, Napsack, and Pan Flute. Buddy, you saved one durability for Weather Pains, didn't you? Because you couldn't bear to part with those 11 Volt Goat Horns, and this little move will cost us 2.2 Deconstruction Staffs. Oh my goodness, this amount of Green Gems means we have to defeat Dragonfly many times or even AFW. It reminds me of Bee Queen, to defeat it, I needed to defeat Dragonfly multiple times to craft enough Scalemail, but Dragonfly and Bee Queen should be bosses of the same level.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Shining Galaxy said:

Hey buddy, let's put aside the console and do the math. How many Green Gems will this cost us - the only rare resource in the late game? To make 11 Weather Pains, we'll need at least 55 Down Feathers and 2.2 Construction Amulets. And to go from 45 to 55, we'll need 0.2 Construction Amulets to craft Deconstruction Staffs, then consume 0.4 Construction Amulets and 0.4 Deconstruction Staffs, totaling 3.2 Green Gems. That's not a small number for unlucky players, especially when Weather Pains are needed for Misery Toadstool, AFW, and CK; and Green Gems are also required for Thulecite Crown, Scaled Flooring, Napsack, and Pan Flute. Buddy, you saved one durability for Weather Pains, didn't you? Because you couldn't bear to part with those 11 Volt Goat Horns, and this little move will cost us 2.2 Deconstruction Staffs. Oh my goodness, this amount of Green Gems means we have to defeat Dragonfly many times or even AFW. It reminds me of Bee Queen, to defeat it, I needed to defeat Dragonfly multiple times to craft enough Scalemail, but Dragonfly and Bee Queen should be bosses of the same level.

Using Wilson was just showing that it is perfectly possible.

Strategically, it would be much smarter to use Wolfgang. Reduces fighting time, reduces resources. You wouldn't even need green gems for that.

And we're talking about a fight alone, as everything is easier with a team.

Green gems are mainly obtained from ruins. Dragonfly is a complementary option.

Still, if you use Warly's damage buff with Wolfgang, this fight doesn't even last a game day and has almost no resources.

The fact is there are a lot of legitimate strategies and the boss is far from difficult. It's a bit of work, yes, but it's not even close to the arduous path to get to AF or CC.

It's good to note that practically no one will be interested in fighting this giant in the first year. Facing him in the second year, there would no longer be any talk of using so many green gems, as he would have doubled resources in the second spring.

Playing with Wanda (Warly's buff) I did this boss in 7 minutes. With Wolfgang I would spend less time.

19 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

Strategically, it would be much smarter to use Wolfgang. Reduces fighting time, reduces resources. You wouldn't even need green gems for that.

Oh, yes, but that's precisely what I dislike about this BOSS, that it's only suitable for high-damage characters. Too many Wolfgang and Wanda. The battle interaction with Misery Toadstool is incredibly boring; all you need is high damage and fast chopping. Having a BOSS that poses no threat is a failure in itself, even if it's a failure that benefits the player. Having a high health pool is even more of a failure. I don't see how comparing 3 CCs to one Misery Toadstool can be meaningful, and Klei has already noticed CC and is optimizing its prerequisites. But no one has noticed Misery Toadstool. Its most valuable loot is a permanent fixed light source, but that requires CC to obtain. It's just irreplaceable, but in fact, I'll only consider tackling it in my long-term played worlds. In a single-player speedrun without character swaps, I'd rather ignore it. The battles with AFW and CC are epic, while tackling Misery Toadstool leaves me disinterested.

• Like 6
  • Sanity 1

8 hours ago, Shining Galaxy said:

Oh, yes, but that's precisely what I dislike about this BOSS, that it's only suitable for high-damage characters. Too many Wolfgang and Wanda. The battle interaction with Misery Toadstool is incredibly boring; all you need is high damage and fast chopping. Having a BOSS that poses no threat is a failure in itself, even if it's a failure that benefits the player. Having a high health pool is even more of a failure. I don't see how comparing 3 CCs to one Misery Toadstool can be meaningful, and Klei has already noticed CC and is optimizing its prerequisites. But no one has noticed Misery Toadstool. Its most valuable loot is a permanent fixed light source, but that requires CC to obtain. It's just irreplaceable, but in fact, I'll only consider tackling it in my long-term played worlds. In a single-player speedrun without character swaps, I'd rather ignore it. The battles with AFW and CC are epic, while tackling Misery Toadstool leaves me disinterested.

I understand your point of view, but it is a boss that can only be faced once in your world, regardless of whether it is dozens or even thousands of days old. It doesn't make much sense to complain about using 3 green gems to multiply Weather Pain since we all know that you will have to use a lot of gems to multiply Shroom Skin throughout the game (that's Napsack's objective). As I showed, Wilson takes this fight without any problems. Wolfgang is just an option, but not essential.

Of all the giants in the game, Misery is the only one where there is no point in a second confrontation, as there is no benefit to it. If Klei made changes to his loot, then the whole debate would make sense because he would become a recurring combat boss.

But can Klei change the boss? Of course. I would reduce the amount of life, but make it more deadly for the players. Replaces the time/resources requirement with the combat difficulty requirement. We're talking about a difficult version of the normal Toadstool, so he wasn't designed to be an easy boss like Ancient Guardian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruvimaster said:

Misery is the only one where there is no point in a second confrontation

It's not the only one, Crab King is also the same, and CK is also a necessary stop on the main storyline of the moon. CK has also been criticized, despite its long prelude, but once you're hit by one of its attacks, there's no saving the ship. Eliminating the need for a second confrontation only reduces players' grievances towards them, but it definitely doesn't mean that their design is excellent.

• Like 1