Ocean generation tweak suggestion

Finally! Ocean QoL!

In latest stream, developers mentioned that plans are underway to make those ocean set piece easier to find. With the game's direction are going right now, I guess we'll get a Compass, Wheeler's Navigadget, Telescope or any pathfinding items that people been asking for.

But, but, but. The lack of an item like this is not the reason why ocean exploration is so bad. Isn't it? It's just because... It's bad in itself.

Anyone who has tried to find a pattern of ocean generation will find that the pattern of ocean generation is a mess, which is basically completely random plus something that doesn't make sense (like the notorious southern skew or randomly generat swell ocean). You will never get an experience like "Follow the path to the Pig King in the deciduous forest" or "If you find lichen land, continue going to into the ruins" to help you find POI.

The most effective and easiest way is always to change themself. So I really hope to change the way the ocea generation and make it more traceable.

here my specific suggestions:

1. Makes the Waterlogged and Brine Shoals more evenly distributed in different directions on the continent, so players won't be unlucky enough to sail in the wrong direction and have to go around an entire continent to find these setpieces.
  2. Make Waterlogged always generated at the boundary between the Coastal Ocean and the Swell Ocean.
  3. remove the feature that when the Waterlogged and Brine Shoals are close to the coastal ocean, replace their respective ocean tiles with coastal ocean tiles. They really do nothing but leave megabaser wondering in a 5000+day world why someone else can build dock into them but they can't.
  4. Make Moon Quay and Hermit Island have a more natural Swell Ocean beneath it.
  5. Add some markers near Moon Quay, such as monkey flag on the sea stack or abandoned monkey pirate ship. They can tell the player when they are near Moon Quay, and indicate the general direction of Moon Quay, like iceberg for frostjaw icesheet.
Edited by Cassielu
  • Like 21
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 3

They also need to make everything in between those biomes good.

Because after they are easier to find (not saying i dont want them to be easier),  the ocean will really just become point A point B five times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely.  I think it would help a lot of, instead of tiny set pieces of x y and z scattered about in the Ocean, they fleshed them out into more full ocean biomes.  Add extra life that spawns uniquely around these set pieces that we can recognize to know what else we should be able to find near - exactly like how the Shark gets the icebergs around him.  Also tie fish spawns to the biomes rather than ocean depth so its easy to hunt specific fish.

• Like 6

On 3/2/2024 at 7:22 PM, Jakepeng99 said:

They also need to make everything in between those biomes good.

Because after they are easier to find (not saying i dont want them to be easier),  the ocean will really just become point A point B five times.

More kelp, school of fish (i usually turn them to more, it makes the see feel alive) and other non-atached to an island kind of resources are needed

• Sanity 1