Rethinking Hydrogen Generator

There isn't really a real-world counterpart for the hydrogen generator.

Possibly the closest thing is the hydrogen burner, which consumes the oxygen and produces water and heat. In this case, hydrogen generator would function as a reverse electrolyzer, with some energy lost as heat of course. This also solves the dreaded SPOM problem - now hydrogen & oxygen are effectively an energy storage. (oxygen consumption would also be welcome in other burners aswell)

For players who want previous technology, there's an absurd, but a really cool concept known as fusion reactors.

I think it's implied that the Hydrogen Generator is performing some sort of room-temperature fusion instead of combustion, it's just that there's no Helium in the game (anymore?) and not much point in (re-)adding it.

Edited by meekay

10 hours ago, meekay said:

I think it's implied that the Hydrogen Generator is performing some sort of room-temperature fusion instead of combustion

Even if so, fusion should be veeeeery advanced tech, further than research reactors even. Helium would be relevant if spontaneous combustion was a thing ;)

I think it'd be funny if fusion reactors just required some power, but generated very massive amounts of heat.