Random Webber skill ideas I thought of whilst playing with a friend. If anyone has already made a post about basically the same thing, sorry, I'm not reading through all of the posts.

I was thinking it would be cool for Webber to be able to throw spiders onto an enemy (after having been picked up and held in inventory) and maybe it would take hunger or would be limited to a certain number of spiders based on the size of the enemy, the spider, or something similar. Regardless, spiders would do DoT that increases based on the number of spiders. Maybe it would be limited to the basic spiders or maybe there's different limits to the number of a certain type of spider.

After a certain amount of time, thrown spiders will fall off and attack. A skill to pair well with this could be that tamed spiders called over with the webby whistle will automatically enter the player's inventory upon being called with some sort of toggle function, in order to effectively 'reload' on spiders.

Another possible skill to go well with this could be something like Webber deals increased damage to enemies with spiders on them, or attacking an enemy with spiders on it removes one spider for quicker and quickens the damage over time. Or maybe it removes one spider for each hit, dealing all of the damage that would have been dealt for that one spider at once.

Oh, and because as far as I know, the spider hat offers no benefits to Webber, it could be a craftable item for him as a skill and another skill afterwards would increase overall spider damage, spider thrown damage/DoT, and/or generally strengthen his spiders.

Last two ideas are that he could use silk to make webbed floor or web traps, though the webbed floor might already be implemented, I have not played the game enough. Regardless, the other idea being that he would be able to either negate the slowing effect of his own placed web floors for allies, or possibly even raise their speed, while still reducing other enemies' speeds.

Throwing Skill- Friendly Fling
Damage Increasing Skill or similar for when attacking an enemy with spiders on it- Fight Together/Fight as One
Webby Whistle Skill- Hop On!
Spider Hat Skill- Friend of My Friend (For craft) Spider's Strength (For the skill improving your spiders)
Web Floor- Walk on Web

Another random idea is that when the maximum number of spiders on an enemy is reached, it panics for a short time before throwing one spider or all of them off, maybe it wouldn't work against some or all bosses- Surrounded by Spiders

Feel free to add on or critique any of this, I haven't even beaten fuelweaver nor celestial champion, so I'm probably still considered new to the game.

I take no credit for this, this is just random ideas that I thought would be cool and/or fitting for a character in the game.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Webber said:

I think you’ll like this :

This looks cool generally, I've skimmed it a bit, but the main concept I wanted to highlight with my post was the idea of throwing spiders onto enemies, it would be fun as a little ranged attack with a lot of directions it could be taken in. It would also be able to function as a quicker way to get usually slow spiders onto a possibly further away, maybe fast moving enemy. If it was restricted to the base spider as well, it would grant them viability that they don't have compared to the other spiders, as they're currently just outclassed generally.

4 hours ago, Semagage said:

This looks cool generally, I've skimmed it a bit, but the main concept I wanted to highlight with my post was the idea of throwing spiders onto enemies, it would be fun as a little ranged attack with a lot of directions it could be taken in. It would also be able to function as a quicker way to get usually slow spiders onto a possibly further away, maybe fast moving enemy. If it was restricted to the base spider as well, it would grant them viability that they don't have compared to the other spiders, as they're currently just outclassed generally.

I hear klei is going to do a follow update I think that should be reserved for that where it would work kinda like Pickman

On 2/13/2024 at 10:28 AM, Dr.Webber said:

I hear klei is going to do a follow update I think that should be reserved for that where it would work kinda like Pickman

I think it will work like Palworld or cult of the lamb. Also sadly no idea if they will actually do this update even if it is an amazing idea, it was a prompt they were given in the QNA.

More random skill ideas
Let's Not Starve- Spiders in Webber's inventory lose durability/starve slower, allowing for less monster meat used
Innate addition, basic spiders can stack in inventory like bees if the thrower branch is taken
Have a Friend Over- Level Three Spider Nests with decorations present can be slept in by other players, maximum player count is still 1 per nest, and after a certain amount of usage, the level three nest will regress into a level two spider nest when used by other players
Spider Surprise- Spider Eggs can be broken open to get three entirely random spiders spawning near webber, only exception being spider queens so that there is no potential for infinite spiders
Might of the Many 1, 2, 3- Small damage reduction when near befriended spiders or when spiders are in inventory, that increases with each level and each spider to a certain point. Or a small evasion chance  with the same requirement
Pig Disguise- Craftable item that makes normal pigs docile to webber, but does not work on pig king who will still not trade, or the other way around and it only works with pig king
Collect-ive- Spiders can be ordered to gather nearby items, not eat food off of the ground, and/or harvest grass, twigs, and any other action not requiring anything other than hands
Spider Queen Saddle- Webber can craft a saddle from spider eggs and other materials for a spider queen, but once tamed, the spider queen spawns spiders MUCH slower and loses the ability to spawn nurse spiders, but gains a significant speed boost, must be fed monster meat to stay tamed, also, spider queen can no longer turn into a den as long as it has a saddle on it, throwing range will be increased while riding a spider queen

@Semagage I need your help 

I’ve been trying to shorten/redistributed my hypothetical third alinement while still keeping  the bulk of the idea 

this is as far as I got any ideas on how to achieve that goal: 

Unnatural nurturer:

if you choose different alignments for his two sides you gain the hypothetical “alignment” the ability it gives you is to switch your alignment by eat pure horror/brilliance mixed with cook monster meat(pure horror one looks marinated, pure brilliant looks salted) to make new item that he can eat and spawns a unnatural spider who’s exoskeleton resembles a human skull as a reference to Webbers skull (and it has tiny base skin Webber arms in place of the tiny middle leg if you go with two legs on each side for the Webber skin), it switch’s between the abilities of shadow/mutated  spiders and they puke  unnaturally preserved rot(not an item just what to call the puke) functions like compost wrap and looks like purple gloomer goop,can form a bond with a volt goat to turn it in to a  unnaturally mutated goat(a purple  charged volt goat that has 6 legs,8 eyes, and unnatural energy between his horns instead of electricity going up there horns basically if volt goats were followers+a smaller, weaker, faster  Beefalo but with a charged volt goat attack except all Electric damage gets put in to planar damage)(name open for change))((you can tell which by looking at the partial effect around them)and also a mutating/fusing ability when thrown  by Webber and hits the target shadow aligned unnatural spiders can fuse with bunnymen/beardlords and lunar aligned unnatural spiders can fuse with pigmen/werepigs and both take control of them and drains them like a slurper(baby beard spiders become baby care spiders(as a reference to the old spider care tab and Webber’s care for his friends)and do the same switch as unnatural spiders with the same look except tiny and with a slurper mouth can use unnatural energy to make cave lights wider when above crops,can form a bond with a butterfly to turn it in to a Webberhopalocera(a purple butterfly that has wings shaped like spider webs) to direct it to  Pacific none pollinated crops when care spiders are in the web they fly around Webber giving him sanity and pollinating any none pollinated plants near him ,the ability to make unnatural rifts (how it works is there’s a new interaction with spider dens it temporarily plays an animation in which Webber’s unnatural rifts opens and closes the rifts come out of the den like how shadow rifts come out of the ground or lunar one are  suspended  in the air and it allow you to travel to other dens(I’m thinking a web/shatter design slanted back) (I’m trying to decide whether the higher the stage was the larger the range or just have access to all dens I’m open to alternatives for implementing rifts )) 

Edited by Dr.Webber

On 3/1/2024 at 12:26 PM, Dr.Webber said:

@Semagage I need your help 

I’ve been trying to shorten/redistributed my hypothetical third alinement while still keeping  the bulk of the idea 

this is as far as I got any ideas on how to achieve that goal: 

Unnatural nurturer:

if you choose different alignments for his two sides you gain the hypothetical “alignment” the ability it gives you is to switch your alignment by eat pure horror/brilliance mixed with cook monster meat(pure horror one looks marinated, pure brilliant looks salted) to make new item that he can eat and spawns a unnatural spider who’s exoskeleton resembles a human skull as a reference to Webbers skull (and it has tiny base skin Webber arms in place of the tiny middle leg if you go with two legs on each side for the Webber skin), it switch’s between the abilities of shadow/mutated  spiders and they puke  unnaturally preserved rot(not an item just what to call the puke) functions like compost wrap and looks like purple gloomer goop,can form a bond with a volt goat to turn it in to a  unnaturally mutated goat(a purple  charged volt goat that has 6 legs,8 eyes, and unnatural energy between his horns instead of electricity going up there horns basically if volt goats were followers+a smaller, weaker, faster  Beefalo but with a charged volt goat attack except all Electric damage gets put in to planar damage)(name open for change))((you can tell which by looking at the partial effect around them)and also a mutating/fusing ability when thrown  by Webber and hits the target shadow aligned unnatural spiders can fuse with bunnymen/beardlords and lunar aligned unnatural spiders can fuse with pigmen/werepigs and both take control of them and drains them like a slurper(baby beard spiders become baby care spiders(as a reference to the old spider care tab and Webber’s care for his friends)and do the same switch as unnatural spiders with the same look except tiny and with a slurper mouth can use unnatural energy to make cave lights wider when above crops,can form a bond with a butterfly to turn it in to a Webberhopalocera(a purple butterfly that has wings shaped like spider webs) to direct it to  Pacific none pollinated crops when care spiders are in the web they fly around Webber giving him sanity and pollinating any none pollinated plants near him ,the ability to make unnatural rifts (how it works is there’s a new interaction with spider dens it temporarily plays an animation in which Webber’s unnatural rifts opens and closes the rifts come out of the den like how shadow rifts come out of the ground or lunar one are  suspended  in the air and it allow you to travel to other dens(I’m thinking a web/shatter design slanted back) (I’m trying to decide whether the higher the stage was the larger the range or just have access to all dens I’m open to alternatives for implementing rifts )) 

Um, your first issue is this sounds hellish to sprite, just the volt goat sounds nightmarish to put in with needing a nearly entirely new sprite, the fusing mechanic seems like a lot to add for just one character. In addition, I get that webber is supposed to be the summoner/minion character, but like, it seems as though you're straying away from the spider aspect of him a bit too much (of course, you do you at the end of the day)
If you want a third alignment, my first recommendation is to look at the major powers and/or themes of the game and go from there
I get the idea of webber being neutral and having both options available (at least that's what I was getting from what you said)
I like the idea of webber being able to teleport between spider dens (should probably be only level three dens at least, also probably only ones previously visited)
The fusing thing seems like almost something you'd either create a new character for, like some sort of Victor Frankenstein character who can reanimate dead animal's corpses for his purposes or something that doesn't fit the game, the skull spider by itself seems cool, like maybe you could make it from a skeleton found on the ground and it doesn't need to be fed to stay befriended or something else that makes it special
The extra functions of the fused creatures also seem like they'd take way too much to implement, as of now the only things spiders can do are aoe heal, melee attack, ranged attack, walk on water, or leap; adding a bunch of new minions could throw that off balance for the worse

Here’s the whole skill tree sense I split it up through out: 

but there is two things I want to address 

1.the reason why I wanted to do fusion is the idea I was going for is the unnatural energy that fused the two halves of Webber together synchronizes the the opposing sides that each half chose so I thought I’d explore the abilities of our natural energy

2.The reason why I chose to open the unnatural riffs on spider dens other than spider of course is both have three stages, plus I can make them on a slant but that’s beside the point.