On another note.. the sunny side up eggcelent updates.

A lot of people are currently criticizing Klei's choice for the update, and it is nothing more than fair game, the update is a bit underwhelming.

But I would like to show WHERE they should focus work (IMHO)(aside from their own creativity and inspirations)(based on community feedback mostly, but mainly I can only speak for myself) and what updates they added that were great and exciting.

New bosses. 

For me, the sharkboi and the three new lunar bosses were an amazing addition to the game. They both fit perfectly how a late game bossfight should be and how knowledge is very important and impactful for the game. I just think that Klei should've added a way in-game (wagstaff papers?) to know that putting fire on deerclops while he channels stuns him and hitting bearger while he stands up too.

Reap what you sow (Big Overhauls).

I have never ever seen anyone complain that the old farm system is forgotten or lost. For pick-up sounds (they should add the option to the menu "legacy sounds" or "original sounds" for those who dislike it) and the crafting tab, some people didn't like it; but the game needed that change so badly, and for me atleast it made the game super adaptable and faster when it came to quick crafting.

Character skillsets having synergies.

Example : Wormwood being able to draw vines from BS gear. I really hope we can have a Maxwell synergy with the reaper; a wx78 synergy with the warbis; a wanda/wortox synergy with the cloak; a wurt synergy with the tentacle spike and many more (not only weapons for combat, but also items like the Enlightened crown having quotes on lunar align survivors).

And here are some of my other suggestions :

. In-game automatic cooking/crafting for time consuming repetitive tasks. (Energy update, bring the industrial revolution to the constant! [Please winona the boss, she is really cute I love her; and Wilson]).

. Building walls, structures and materials. (Stone fences, new metals, more colors and shapes).

. Ocean Overhaul.

. Critters aid in combat/tasks.

• Like 3

idk, certainly NMWP and the new lunar zombosses can be fun but they also feel repetitive b/c of how scripted their fights feel.  I much prefer bosses like Bee Queen, Dfly, and such with more room for creativity.  I can repeat those bosses many times because the fight can be varied based on how I want to approach it and every new piece of content brings a re-examination of how that might effect old fights.  Meanwhile every fight against zombosses is basically the same no matter which character I'm on and any new content would only effect if it it were planar gear, and then we're just looking at scaling or OP combat abilities.  They're focused too much on direct vs player combat rather than an obstacle in a survival world where you have many OTHER tools at your disposal.  Its fun as a change, but I certainly hope they don't push too many more like that b/c its kinda already getting old...

I think RYWS is a landmark update that should be the model for how they can both rework existing content (a constant ask by players) while also providing new content (something they need to maintain the game's momentum.)  They could follow that pattern to bring us biome updates with better ecological diversity and resource balance while adding a whole new biome + event for it (we have many redundant biomes currently, we could easily drop some off the list to add in completely new ones.)  The caves especially could use this as there isn't much purpose for much of the land mass unless you're strictly playing cave-only.  I feel they kinda try to do this with the cave rifts BUT rifts are too random and unfocused.  I think we need like, a bat biome event kinda like we have the moonstone, shadow pieces, etc.  Combat could also use an overhaul, I know a lot of people would rather see things like attack range, speed, and other weapon options rather than just versioning out Dark Sword for PlanarSword.

I really wish Klei didn't start the skill trees...  but since we're getting them I wish they would take them a bit more seriously.  As it is they are basically a bandaid fix that is being applied too broadly and will ultimately end no better than the first character refresh cycle did...  They should look at how they can go deeper into each character's kit, breaking apart the tools that character has already and deciding what is base kit vs what can be skilled into.  I feel they have done a decent job of balancing each tree to have good decision points and costs but the base kits of characters are too unevenly balanced which means the trees either need to be equally imbalanced making some deep and meaningful while others are surface fluff or they're all strong so character power disparity only increases further as they continue...  A character like Willow has barely any base kit to speak of, so you *need* her skill tree to do Willow Things and the choices you make in placing skills has a strong impact on how you play her BUT a character like Maxwell is doing Maxwell things off his base kit no problem.  You can't make a meaningful choice in skill placement if your base kit is 90% of your game plan, and if they give him a tree as powerful as Willow's then OMG the power creep is off the charts...  

tl/dr I'd like to see Klei fully integrate the skill trees in with the character's existing kit to better balance the value of the skill trees against each other, while still ending at a reasonable total power balance between characters too.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

I really wish Klei didn't start the skill trees...  but since we're getting them I wish they would take them a bit more seriously.  As it is they are basically a bandaid fix that is being applied too broadly and will ultimately end no better than the first character refresh cycle did...  They should look at how they can go deeper into each character's kit, breaking apart the tools that character has already and deciding what is base kit vs what can be skilled into.  I feel they have done a decent job of balancing each tree to have good decision points and costs but the base kits of characters are too unevenly balanced which means the trees either need to be equally imbalanced making some deep and meaningful while others are surface fluff or they're all strong so character power disparity only increases further as they continue...  A character like Willow has barely any base kit to speak of, so you *need* her skill tree to do Willow Things and the choices you make in placing skills has a strong impact on how you play her BUT a character like Maxwell is doing Maxwell things off his base kit no problem.  You can't make a meaningful choice in skill placement if your base kit is 90% of your game plan, and if they give him a tree as powerful as Willow's then OMG the power creep is off the charts...  

tl/dr I'd like to see Klei fully integrate the skill trees in with the character's existing kit to better balance the value of the skill trees against each other, while still ending at a reasonable total power balance between characters too.

the skill trees...actualy a nice little idea...but i feel like some of those skills that are offered are just a must have one while others are more a....point waste kinda thing...like wilsons, all of his torch skills are.....pretty much not a good choice ever and pretty much all transmute options are worth gettin....while the beard is...aceptable in what you preffer or somewhat balance these 2 out, i think more skill tress sould feel like  i either do 1 or the other choice what ever i feel mor good with instead of "yea this is a must have one no questions asked" like willow for example...would you get your willow skill tree not get any of those like spell like things or fire absorbations? like these skills seem too must have feeling not to get

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Swiyss said:

Character skillsets having synergies.

Example : Wormwood being able to draw vines from BS gear. I really hope we can have a Maxwell synergy with the reaper; a wx78 synergy with the warbis; a wanda/wortox synergy with the cloak; a wurt synergy with the tentacle spike and many more (not only weapons for combat, but also items like the Enlightened crown having quotes on lunar align survivors).

I disagree. I deeply dislike these perks. They feel so janky and odd... now i have to ask people if cc is dead to see if i should pick the wormwood brightshade skills. They are some of the worst of skilltrees. (The same applies with the Wolfgang planar damage skills)

The wormwood perks for the brightshade stuff should just be balanced into the armour for everyone to make this armour set unique.

16 hours ago, Swiyss said:

Reap what you sow (Big Overhauls).

I have never ever seen anyone complain that the old farm system is forgotten or lost. For pick-up sounds (they should add the option to the menu "legacy sounds" or "original sounds" for those who dislike it) and the crafting tab, some people didn't like it; but the game needed that change so badly, and for me atleast it made the game super adaptable and faster when it came to quick crafting.

I agree. It feels like Klei keeps starting new things and more new things and leave behind so much old stuff that really needs changed like the ocean and old farming.

I feel like after the return of them arc, they should focus on old things and aim to make their to-do-list smaller instead of bigger.

Edited by Jakepeng99

The only thing I want to know is the roadmap said we would have 4 updates to look forward to this year, was year of the Dragonfly one of them, or is there still 4 substantial updates to look forward to?

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

The only thing I want to know is the roadmap said we would have 4 updates to look forward to this year, was year of the Dragonfly one of them, or is there still 4 substantial updates to look forward to?

Obviously this doesn't count. The real question is if the "QOL + More" update at the end of March counts as one, or if it's an update that'll address the issues of content from last year, like the likely-rushed skill trees, for example.