KLEI YOU'RE AWESOME, ALRIGHT ?!

I don't like making big essays, so just a small message :

Klei, I discovered you just 2 years ago with Don't Starve being the first game I tried, I loved it to pieces, then I tried DST, then Shipwrecked and hamlet. And  just wanna say that those games are the best things that I played and still playing, I love those recent updates. Also, a few weeks ago I tried Insivible INC, amazing game. I've heard people saying Klei doesn't care anymore but I know that you don't. 

You always keep an eye out for a suggestion and even if many of us wants [insert feature here], don't overwork yourself. Developing a game is hard too and there is a whole system of coding, animating and business stuff that I don't know about.

There are still some updates to your other games, new games like Rotwood that I'm very interested in, this quality of life update for consoles in Don't Starve. YOU GUYS AND GALS ARE AWESOME IT'S IN THE TITLE YOU MANIACS ! I personally just want the best for all of you and your games. Too-doo-loo.

People just like to complain about things that they don't agree with, which in itself is selfish to a degree. 

I've been playing the game since DS originally came out, got all the DLC's and beat each one. (Hamlet being my favorite due to the currency system of OInks and houses.) I haven't even touched anything after the Celestial Boss, mainly because i play DST to just vibe and chill. I enjoy building my compact base, killing the occasional boss here and there, but mainly in just like cooking/growing crops and making a pretty looking base. The skilltree updates have actually got me playing characters i don't play simply to level them and see their new features, which is adding new life to the game for me. 

It's fun to come to the forums and watch people complain about a game that gives decent sized content updates... for free. Most games would have probably put the Lunar Island and every other huge content update behind a DLC paywall. (Lookin at you Warhammer 40k games on Steam.) So, i'll keep taking the free updates as they come and just play the parts i want. 

Honestly, I think the people who complain about the game getting too easy lack perspective. It's still very difficult for new players to figure out without going on YouTube for tutorials, and the game continues to offer new challenges as you progress through it. It's the nature of mastering something that some challenges cease to be difficult once you've learned strategies to deal with them. As a new player, if you don't want to spend time studying, you're gonna be experiencing the "uncompromising wilderness survival game" that people who're too experienced don't see it as anymore.

People who complain about Klei making the game easier are complaining from the perspective of someone who does frequent playthroughs over and over again and has probably played nearly every character for a full in-game year at least. As someone who has that perspective, but plays with newer players frequently: that's not most of the playerbase, and it's not what the whole game should be balanced around. Most players haven't actually killed Celestial Champion even a single time and thus haven't seen all of what the game has to offer, and most players haven't actually gotten through a year as the whole playable cast and seen how each one deals with all the usual stuff differently.

Klei is clearly balancing the postgame more around players who have no trouble with standard survival challenges and are good at kiting - you're punished a lot more for getting hit at all now that some enemies have attacks that damage through armor (at least before you get the planar armors), and a lot of the new bosses have attacks that can stun you and open you up to more hits. 

It's also worth taking into consideration that it's a very, very tiny portion of the community who actually want updates that add things that can destroy your base without you really being able to do much to stop them. It's popular to turn wildfires off in the settings for a reason, after all - people hate them and they don't add anything fun. Nobody liked the diseased plants mechanic, either, and Klei ended up getting rid of it entirely. I cannot recall anyone ever saying anything negative about the decision to get rid of disease. Also, adding quality-of-life features isn't getting rid of difficulty, it's getting rid of tedium and/or unnecessary frustration.

I do feel like there's some things that need nerfed, but Klei's actually shown that they're willing to do that - WX-78's downside relating to wetness was actually made far more significant in his rework, for instance. He was, overall, nerfed as a character in his rework (you now have to pick what you want to be strong in instead of just rushing the ruins and then becoming stupidly powerful forever) and people who complain that Klei only buffs things conveniently forget that. 

31 minutes ago, DegenerateFurry said:

I do feel like there's some things that need nerfed, but Klei's actually shown that they're willing to do that - WX-78's downside relating to wetness was actually made far more significant in his rework, for instance. He was, overall, nerfed as a character in his rework (you now have to pick what you want to be strong in instead of just rushing the ruins and then becoming stupidly powerful forever) and people who complain that Klei only buffs things conveniently forget that. 

wx wasn't even good before the rework because stacking lightning had diminishing returns and big stats weren't an advantage, since refilling them is instant anyway 

Oh I love Klei. Oxygen Not Included is my favorite game of all time. Has been since the Logic System Update. I can't play it now because my brain sucks but I still hold in in such high regard and how it single-handedly made me learn and fall in love with materials science.

Wormwood is also a character I deeply love because of his personality and mannerisms. I really liked Wendy because I suffer from Major Depression Disorder (thanks genetics) but Wormwood is more representative of me as a person. Lonely, Hopeful, Nature loving, and Curious. On top of the more unique upsides and downsides compared to many other Don't Starve characters.

Aside from World of Warcraft Collectors Editions from years past, all of my Video Game paraphernalia is Klei related. (Hope we get more Oxygen Not Included plushies besides the Puft). I don't play exclusively Klei games by a long shot but their work does hold more value in my heart compared to other games or game companies.

Archived