Wigfrid change suggestion

Klei please consider removing the cooldown when you equip the shield. I just think it would be neat to change between spear and shield, and waiting for the cooldown only after I use the shield ability. I want to use the shield to parry attacks but the 4sec cooldown when I equip it kinda messes with it in almost every fight. Am I the only one who would want this change? 

Why would you want to use the shield only for that purpose? If they implement this they need to either add a second hand slot or make the shield lose a lot of durability when defending, and both are bad things, you'll lose on damage sure but you'll take 0 damage. It is veeeery situational and good as it is I think.

You can easily counter dragonfly with it, and I think the time you take to run back to kite would make tou miss some dps in the making, so in the long run I think (I might be wrong) the shield is better. Obviously depending on the weapon too.

7 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Why would you want to use the shield only for that purpose? If they implement this they need to either add a second hand slot or make the shield lose a lot of durability when defending, and both are bad things, you'll lose on damage sure but you'll take 0 damage. It is veeeery situational and good as it is I think.

You can easily counter dragonfly with it, and I think the time you take to run back to kite would make tou miss some dps in the making, so in the long run I think (I might be wrong) the shield is better. Obviously depending on the weapon too.

Because late game I have more weapon choices and most of them give me more damage than the shield, so late game I probably won't use the shield. I know I can just kite every other enemy just like I do now, but I just think it would be fun to use the shield. I'm not talking about adding another hand slot, I want to be able to change my weapon and shield during combat even late game so I can have more options besides kiting and still maintain use for the shield late game. And why would they have to make the shield lose durability if this was implemented? I still want the shield to have the 10sec cooldown after using the ability, it's a fair CD. I think it's fair to assume if I have the timing correct to equip the shield right when a mob is about to hit, I have the timing to kite too. So it's not like removing this CD would be too OP.

I really enjoy the shield rn but as I said, late game I have dark swords and the brightshade gear (I forgot its name lol), and they offer me more damage but I'm having fun using the shield too, in my opinion removing the cd would make kiting a bit less boring. I don't get to just walk away when I'm about to get hit, I can use another weapon and make kiting a bit more engaging, do you get what I'm saying? 

1 minute ago, Zima Blue said:

Because late game I have more weapon choices and most of them give me more damage than the shield, so late game I probably won't use the shield. I know I can just kite every other enemy just like I do now, but I just think it would be fun to use the shield. I'm not talking about adding another hand slot, I want to be able to change my weapon and shield during combat even late game so I can have more options besides kiting and still maintain use for the shield late game. 

Yeah since so many people are asking for this we might just get it. But I still don't think there is a way to implement the shield swapping without ruining it's own idea in the making unless someone has a suggestion for it.

You see, my concern is that with that in the game she will essentially be immortal as long as she has shield in her inventory (assuming they take durability when protecting). And it would even make it boring in the long run.

Maybe if they add a parrying mechanic to the shield THEN it would make sense. The shield could be equipped in the hand slot and another slot would pop-up to add your weapon. Same as the fishing rod or the enlightment crown slots. Then they could change the shield to cost more resources and don't do damage, but instead you would have the possibility to parry the attack while holding the shield, the shield would take durability as well as the weapon. But that would be too complicated I think. Maybe a 0.5 parry timing and if you miss it you would take the damage.

The shield could be equipped in the body slot too. And parry with right click button. That would be simpler.

Just now, Swiyss said:

Yeah since so many people are asking for this we might just get it. But I still don't think there is a way to implement the shield swapping without ruining it's own idea in the making unless someone has a suggestion for it.

You see, my concern is that with that in the game she will essentially be immortal as long as she has shield in her inventory (assuming they take durability when protecting). And it would even make it boring in the long run.

Maybe if they add a parrying mechanic to the shield THEN it would make sense. The shield could be equipped in the hand slot and another slot would pop-up to add your weapon. Same as the fishing rod or the enlightment crown slots. Then they could change the shield to cost more resources and don't do damage, but instead you would have the possibility to parry the attack while holding the shield, the shield would take durability as well as the weapon. But that would be too complicated I think. Maybe a 0.5 parry timing and if you miss it you would take the damage.

The shield could be equipped in the body slot too. And parry with right click button. That would be simpler.

With that parrying mechanic, and the shield in the body slot, it would make sense if it's protection percentage is around 60 to 70.

4 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

You see, my concern is that with that in the game she will essentially be immortal as long as she has shield in her inventory (assuming they take durability when protecting)

I understand your concearns but after using the ability I would still have to wait 10sec to use it again, so If I don't kite, I will probably get hit 2 times while I wait for this cooldown. Fighting the bee queen for example I could tank her attack with the shield but I would still have to manage the grumble bees, Varg the same thing. Even some attacks like, right after Bearger slams the ground, I would tank this one but right after he slams he swing at me and if I was just using the shield this time I would take the hit from the swing. I can think of other examples such as CC 2nd phase spinning attack, Klaus 2nd phase after jumping to us swings too so thats another hit. What I mean to say is, there are a lot of attacks that I would not be able to protect with the shield's ability so thats why I think it wouldn't make me immortal. Again, the 10sec cooldown after using the ability is totally fine and fair, I'm only talking about the 4sec right when you equip it. 

14 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

This idea would be fun too but honestly, Klei adding a "second" hand slot is less probable than just fixing a cooldown mechanic. 

I understand. The best they can do with it is to change it to be in the body slot and add a parry mechanic to the shield with right click that would reduce it's durability, the parry would be very short timed but would reward you with 100% damage protection, and could have a little bit less than 5 seconds cd. That would be awesome since the community is asking for some parry mechanic since the dawn of the game; now that we have this rpg-like things being added I feel like it's a perfect opportunity for it. maybe 60% armor in case you take a hit or is not using a head slot protection. only possible by wigfrid tho.

But that's too much code I think. But it's doable.

Archived