We need larger excavation machines

3 hours ago, asurendra said:

Aslında haritayı kazmak, işlemci kullanımını artırır, çünkü gazlar veya vakum, katı maddelere göre daha fazla hesaplama gerektirir. Sadece ihtiyacınız olanı kazın...

I can say that digging the map does not increase the processor load. It forces more RAM MHZ Data pass and Motherboard North Bridge MHZ.
I asked this to a guy who knows computers and he said you need better ram and a good motherboard for this game. Not the processor or graphics card.

He told me to think that data also creates traffic.

7 hours ago, asurendra said:

Actually digging out the map increase cpu usage as gases or vacuum are more calculation demanding than solids. Dig only what you need...

As long as you land on this planet and its field of view opens, your computer needs to calculate all temperature changes and gas and liquid flows on the planet. The only way is to empty out this planet, collect debris from the ground, collect all liquids, and let the gas float into space, only in this way can CPU calculations be reduced. But this process is long and boring, so a large excavation machine is needed to accelerate the progress.

Relying solely on manual excavation is too slow, why not have mechanical assistance?

1.jpg.fdc9de32769777d6804dbe7729fa1092.jpg

2.webp.f1e5cc7e4a0fb54c48314a8b409999c8.webp

4 hours ago, O.J.Vodka said:

The only way is to empty out this planet, collect debris from the ground, collect all liquids, and let the gas float into space, only in this way can CPU calculations be reduced. 

Correction: after all that you need to fill a whole planet with solid cells. Cos solids calculate only heat transfer. Vacuum calculate a possibility to be filled in by nearby gases. Every single cell of vacuum. And heat transfer too. Its always zero dtu to transfer, but calculation still takes place

To give the bare minimum basis for a discussion like this, I did some simple/rudimentary tests.:
Run the game for a given setup for one cycle and take the time (my test included saving time which was pretty much negligible/within measurment tolerance).
Setups: Map (all asteroids) filled with vacuum, neutronium, sandstone (homogenous) and sandstone at different temps(3) and mass(3) (achieved with the sandbox sprinkling tool).
Most tests were done in this order: Load map -> Modify Map -> Save Map -> Reload Map -> Let it run for ~10% of a cycle and take the time for one cycle (new day animation in the top center as referenc point for start/stop timer)
Build: U48-568201-SD, Spaced Out/Small Asteroids, Active Debug and Sandbox.

The fastest cycle time will be used as reference time at 100%, all other times will thus be higher, indicating the slow down for a given setup. The fastest cycle time was with neutronium/homogenous sandstone.

• Neutronium:
    • 100%
  • Sandstone (all tiles same temp/mass)
    • 100%
    • 102%
  • Sandstone (mixed temps/mass)
    • 174%
    • 176%
    • 194%
  • Vacuum
    • 176%
    • 175%

So, apparently vacuum and solid tiles take a similar amount of processing power (in most cases). Obviously this test isn't all-encompassing, I didn't even include gases or mixed elements. Maybe I'll add to this later. Maybe someone else will.

Possible conclusion: Vacuum checks for adjecent gases expanding into its tile while solids calculate temps against their neighbours and both these calculations take a similar amount of time to process. What do you guys make of this?

Somewhat of a rant:

Spoiler

I really wish people more often gave a reason as to why they make certain statements. A lot of things in this thread sound like hearsay, gut feelings or at best an educated guess. It really makes one doubt any statement not given by someone reputeable (who probably still gives a source/reasoning/experimental date/etc.). It's funny how a general/societal problem is so neatly demonstrated in an enclosed enviorment like a discussion about a game...

edit: typo

9 hours ago, Yalp said:

To give the bare minimum basis for a discussion like this, I did some simple/rudimentary tests.:
Run the game for a given setup for one cycle and take the time (my test included saving time which was pretty much negligible/within measurment tolerance).
Setups: Map (all asteroids) filled with vacuum, neutronium, sandstone (homogenous) and sandstone at different temps(3) and mass(3) (achieved with the sandbox sprinkling tool).
Most tests were done in this order: Load map -> Modify Map -> Save Map -> Reload Map -> Let it run for ~10% of a cycle and take the time for one cycle (new day animation in the top center as referenc point for start/stop timer)
Build: U48-568201-SD, Spaced Out/Small Asteroids, Active Debug and Sandbox.

The fastest cycle time will be used as reference time at 100%, all other times will thus be higher, indicating the slow down for a given setup. The fastest cycle time was with neutronium/homogenous sandstone.

• Neutronium:
    • 100%
  • Sandstone (all tiles same temp/mass)
    • 100%
    • 102%
  • Sandstone (mixed temps/mass)
    • 174%
    • 176%
    • 194%
  • Vacuum
    • 176%
    • 175%

So, apparently vacuum and solid tiles take a similar amount of processing power (in most cases). Obviously this test isn't all-encompassing, I didn't even include gases or mixed elements. Maybe I'll add to this later. Maybe someone else will.

Possible conclusion: Vacuum checks for adjecent gases expanding into its tile while solids calculate temps against their neighbours and both these calculations take a similar amount of time to process. What do you guys make of this?

Somewhat of a rant:

Reveal hidden contents

I really wish people more often gave a reason as to why they make certain statements. A lot of things in this thread sound like hearsay, gut feelings or at best an educated guess. It really makes one doubt any statement not given by someone reputeable (who probably still gives a source/reasoning/experimental date/etc.). It's funny how a general/societal problem is so neatly demonstrated in an enclosed enviorment like a discussion about a game...

edit: typo

Amazing work! So for best performance we need solids with the same temperature? It can be done using extra cold/hot materials for dupe-made tiles. Noted. Thanks!

I’ve often dreamed of building a “biome melter” machine that rapidly injects huge amounts of superheated steam into an area. Should be possible to accumulate and release an ungodly amount of thermal energy using a metal refinery, liquid uranium, and a wolframite door pump.

2 hours ago, Charletrom said:

I’ve often dreamed of building a “biome melter” machine that rapidly injects huge amounts of superheated steam into an area. Should be possible to accumulate and release an ungodly amount of thermal energy using a metal refinery, liquid uranium, and a wolframite door pump.

Fill liquid reservoir with superheated water, then deconstruct it :)

5 hours ago, asurendra said:

Fill liquid reservoir with superheated water, then deconstruct it :)

That might work, but would only release 5t of steam, and would probably kill the dupe who deconstructed it. With a wolframite door pump I could accumulate hundreds of tons of pressure per tile (at 2500+ C) and release it without dupe interaction.

Obviously I would first need to fill the target biome with sanishells, because steamed crab is yummy.

Archived