Pipeless Counterflow Heat Exchanger v3.1 -- High pressure liquid sorter

In my new colony, I wanted to make my pipeless counterflow heat exchanger for a pipeless petroleum boiler as a set and forget system to process all the crude oil I could make without having to worry about capacity or redesign.  However, I messed up and had to run it in reverse from what I did before and I approached the boiler from the wrong side, which required a few revisions.

First, a correction.  I was incorrect about the capacity of the boiler design.  Apparently, you do not get 25 kg/s flaking if you flake from a hot plate below the petroleum, you only get around 16.5 kg/s (estimated).  To get 100 kg/s you would need 4 "boxes" and only run petroleum on the underside on top of airflow tiles.  I suspect this is because it is flaking from liquid to liquid and the "gas" emitted has nowhere to go on the tick when it happens, so it stays there as a vacuum to be filled in on the next tick.

This is my design running at 80 kg/s.  I mostly built it in survival, but I did make corrections in debug while testing, including replacing some doors with insulated tiles and adding thermal conductivity material to the heat exchange segments.  There are 23 thermally isolated thermal conductivity segments, excluding the one in the boiler.

image.thumb.png.1205ff12f38eb612ba384ba53928fb5c.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.332d059409eeda080ba0656744c1e6d9.png

image.thumb.png.eab9ae6b9fc1503841480a5dfdd30471.png

Note that if you want to build this boiler, you need temp shiftplates in the oil to get heat away from the insulated tiles on the boxes.

image.thumb.png.6c507c626d16d8a3dc5231ba9c2e0998.png

image.thumb.png.7ed893daa91b4cf3e3c0e4d7f81c913c.png

image.thumb.png.7bb70fe1f677d642b22b5948eddc8daf.png

The design is essentially identical to the previous, except I went a bit overboard and added a third layer and the petroleum flows up instead of the crude oil, requiring a redesign of the turnarounds.  I also used ceramic tiles for the boiler, which improves the efficiency.

The main difference that made me want to talk about this is this little abomination:

image.thumb.png.6d0b78d20d3122ba0454cde68097eb91.png

image.thumb.png.38b7b559015ab77a8850f1d0129574bb.png

Since I approached the boiler from the wrong side, I unfortunately had to force the petroleum and crude oil to cross paths in a way they didn't want to.  The petroleum had to go right from below to above and the crude oil had to go to the left and go from below to above, which crude oil will not do naturally.  Naturally, caveman me took over and decided that the best solution was to smash them together as hard as I could until they go to the right place, which they did.

In this system, both crude oil and petroleum are flowing in at an average rate of 80 kg/s using escher waterfalls.  The petroleum builds up on the bottom until it can push the crude oil out of the way.  When that happens it bubbles on the top and starts pouring out the right.  This clogs the crude oil, which then builds up pressure until it has enough to push the petroleum to the side and flow out the left. 

To my understanding of liquid physics in ONI, this system should never break.  No amount of liquid pressure can force the petroleum or crude oil over the escher waterfalls and the pressure at the top of the upper escher waterfalls never seems to exceed 300 kg's.

Initializing the system required getting the right liquid in each of the escher waterfalls, filling up the center with crude oil, then deconstructing gas pipes with the gases in the airflow tiles. 

To test this whole system, I ran 8 dev pumps set to crude oil, which emit crude oil at 75.9 C.  I then ran it for many cycles (I wasn't keeping track), and it seems to have stabilized in temperature.  The crude oil enters the boiler at around 393.4 C and the petroleum seems to leave the exchanger at around 96.5 C, but it oscillates.  I find this suspicious, as with the starting and ending temperatures of the crude oil, the petroleum should emerge at about 98.3 C.  To ensure no mass deletion was taking place, I cleared out the petroleum reservoir and ran it for 5 cycles as measured by a timer sensor on a notifier, and it produced the expected 240 tons of petroleum.  Perhaps has not reached equilibrium yet, I am unsure.

The heat source is my central heat system powered by a series of volcanoes, but it could easily be replaces with thermium aquatuners.

Archived