Active/Dormant Geyser Phase Display Part 1: 64 panel display

A couple of years ago, I was working on creating a display that could track the active and dormant phases of geyser eruptions. The old version was gnarly, particularly because at the time I did not know the full power of ribbon cables.

Spoiler

timerautomation.jpg.7d5e417ccef8ea10c851569b231cb14b.thumb.jpg.87668ec859b9dd672bf6b8de4a9664f1.jpg

(This worked by plugging in the active and dormant cycle duration into the lower counter number range (xxx.x) which would then automatically shift between the upper two counters that would count upwards until it hit the target.)

I've recently decided to revisit this and have created something that is more compact and uses 16 pixel packs rather than a counter display.

Spoiler

image.gif.565106e6bfa03f9d4a619bd1c6f90814.gif

Not only does this take up less of a footprint, it increases rather than decreases decor. The biggest pain was synchronizing the counters properly.

The next goal, then, is to advance each pixel by 1/64th of the entire active/dormant cycle of any given geyser. I'm finalizing that piece using a water clock, will post that when it's complete.

Archived