Critter functional space in ranches should be calculated with critter well-being in mind

Since this is a critter focused update I thought about an improvement to the ranches. People usually limit movement of hatches, sweeties etc in a ranch by placing doors or tiles or building ranches vertically in order to reduce the time it takes for critters to reach the grooming station and using the rest of the area for other purposes. I consider this a game exploit since it doesn't make sense for the critters to not feel cramped when the functional space for them is smaller than the estimated one from room description and I don't really feel good when I use it but it's true that it saves a lot of time for the ranchers. On the other hand the critters that can climb walls cannot be limited this way but functional space can be taken from them by making ranches squared

I thought about a solution to this and I would love you guys to consider the following changes: 

- critters that do not climb walls should only consider the area of 4 tiles of height to be functional space  as well as they should consider the space not functional and therefore feel cramped if they cannot reach it due to tiles or doors being in a way.  

- critters that climb walls should consider an area functional only 3-4 tiles away from any tile they can stand on. This would not affect most of the ranch designs since they are usually not squared. 

- in order to allow players to improve critters speed when they are heading for the grooming / shearing stations I imagine two fairly balanced solutions: 
    1. For early/mid game - a new 1 tile building (or bigger and rotatable if the critters are bigger) that would allow one critter to get inside or stay next to it when they are not hungry like a set of toy tunnels or some kind of critter toy. The resources and even designs could be different for each critter type like the airborne critter lures are. This would allow players to make sure at least some critters will be in a close range to the grooming station and once this building is not occupied by a critter another one will use it (unless they are hungry and should be focused on looking for food). 

2. For late game - BRACKENE. If we are applying it to dupes in order to make them faster why not add an additional late game type of grooming station that would take brackene as an input and apply it to critters during grooming!!!

I know these are relatively big changes and it is unlikely that developers will have time to implement it in the moo update but please consider it for the future if not for now. I would also love to hear the comments of the community on this one since I can't think of better mechanics that would solve the abusement of critter well-being and also fit the game spirit.

48 minutes ago, pether said:

I understand your logic behind this, but I don't think ONI is ready to force players to abandon performance-improving practices

The "performance" of something, for example a grooming station, should not depend on artificially tightening the space for the critters.

I agree that this is an exploit of a game mechanic that is not well thought through.

I would argue that critters should only get a buff/bonus to happiness etc. if there is enough 'free' space for them, which excludes doors or other materials standing in the way in the middle of the room. 

However, I am not sure yet how this could be applied appropriately. For example, I have a stable with sweetles that includes some tiles in the middle of it, because they can climb on it and freely move around there. It does not hinder them. 

If the different critters require different types of stables and designs of stables, then that would add a layer of complexity that I would have nothing against. 

All in all, the stable/room system should be improved overall. But this goes beyond this topic. 

3 minutes ago, Henlikuoth said:

The "performance" of something, for example a grooming station, should not depend on artificially tightening the space for the critters.

I'm talking about overall game performance. By reducing space available for critters to travel, you reduce number of pathfinding calculation and you can get several FPSes. I don't think ONI is ready to remove FPS-gaining solutions players use in their games.

I don't opose the idea of expanding ranch build options and improving critter mechanics, but those work better as options instead of forcing players to deconstruct their optimised ranches just because

4 minutes ago, pether said:

I'm talking about overall game performance. By reducing space available for critters to travel, you reduce number of pathfinding calculation and you can get several FPSes. I don't think ONI is ready to remove FPS-gaining solutions players use in their games.

I don't opose the idea of expanding ranch build options and improving critter mechanics, but those work better as options instead of forcing players to deconstruct their optimised ranches just because

Well, I have the general hope that the development in computer technology will make the performance issues of ONI obsolete in a few years.

6 hours ago, pether said:

I think implementing a new building that I mentioned would allow players to reduce critter pathfinding calculations even more than it is now since it would keep the critter occupied in the single spot removing the need to travel until hungry. Moreover it would affect not only hatches, sweeties but also dreckos, pips and other wall climbers which would result in even bigger performance optimalisation. 

6 hours ago, Henlikuoth said:

I would argue that critters should only get a buff/bonus to happiness etc. if there is enough 'free' space for them, which excludes doors or other materials standing in the way in the middle of the room. 

However, I am not sure yet how this could be applied appropriately. For example, I have a stable with sweetles that includes some tiles in the middle of it, because they can climb on it and freely move around there. It does not hinder them. 

If sweeties / hatches can reach the top of the tile to travel further they should consider this area usable. I often create non-flat ranches just because I like the critter jumping animations. I'm just talking about a complete restriction of the space that is available in a ranch.

Archived