Where Is This Polluted Oxygen Coming From?

I've built this pool of water around my iron volcano and liquid sulfur geyser for cooling. I didn't give much thought about which type of water to use, and assumed that any type would do. However, for some reason the pO2 pressure inside the room just keeps rising and I can't figure out why. 

Firstly, there is a small layer of clean water above the polluted water, so it shouldn't emit pO2.

Secondly, even without the clean layer of water above, 7kg of air pressure should already be overpressure for the polluted water.

It seems like all this pressure is from the sulfur geyser, since pressure was rising before the iron volcano became active, but after a quick search online it doesn't appear that sulfur geyser emits pO2. So where is all this pO2 coming from?

1.png

1 hour ago, skiviz said:

I've built this pool of water around my iron volcano and liquid sulfur geyser for cooling. I didn't give much thought about which type of water to use, and assumed that any type would do. However, for some reason the pO2 pressure inside the room just keeps rising and I can't figure out why. 

Firstly, there is a small layer of clean water above the polluted water, so it shouldn't emit pO2.

Secondly, even without the clean layer of water above, 7kg of air pressure should already be overpressure for the polluted water.

It seems like all this pressure is from the sulfur geyser, since pressure was rising before the iron volcano became active, but after a quick search online it doesn't appear that sulfur geyser emits pO2. So where is all this pO2 coming from?

1.png

My best guess is that when the geyser erupts every second the top layer of clean water is displaced by liquid sulfur, which instantly solidifies leaving the tile empty or with little pressure of PO and at that moment polluted water is able to gas off from the tile below repeatedly building up the pressure.

My take is that the pressure-prevention of off-gassing is not totally reliable. I have a pwater distiller (aquatuner to heat up, steam turbine to re-condense) and this thing is reliable at > 10kg steam pressure in the steam chamber. Still, occasionally I get one pO2 tile in there, maybe every 100 cycles or even less often. I had to add some removal mechanism for it.

Veery generic:

n.png.88dce3efa674d16708b621d9ca6d6bd8.pngp.png.5f3accca00e0a784532cd09fd80f884d.png

Left pressure sensor shuts pwater down above 20kg pressure. Left liquid sensor limits liquid to 100k. Used mainly during startup with clean water.
Right pressure sensor stops steam turbine below 10kg pressure. Hence steam pressure will always be at least a bot below 10kg
Temperature sensor activates heating via aquatuner below 138C.

I know for a fact that there was only steam in there at cycle 13000. At cycle 19000 I had some pO2 in there and that should not have happened.

@Gurgel Thanks!

I take that the pressure limit icon on the vent comes from that single packet of polluted oxygen which triggers the atmo sensor.

What is the temperature of the polluted water that comes in? What is the setting on the valve?
I'll assume here that the polluted water is below 100 degrees and valve is set to 10kg/s.

Looking at the dirt in the steam chamber it seems that the temperature in the room is not equally distributed and p water boils mainly when touching the aquatuner.
Since at times there's only 10kg of steam per tile I'd say it's possible that the p water which goes to the left of the vent can cool down the steam above it (tile with atmo sensor) enough for it to condense to water. After it boils again for an instant the pressure is low enough and p water below can off-gas.

Throwing a metal tempshift plate at the vent might fix your problem.

3 hours ago, Knurek said:

@Gurgel Thanks!

I take that the pressure limit icon on the vent comes from that single packet of polluted oxygen which triggers the atmo sensor.

That is why you do not want pO2 in there: It messes with the steam pressure regulation and steam pressure will raise and raise. That is not directly a problem, but it is a problem with the input side. It would be possible to use a different regulation mechanism, but this one is really simple.

3 hours ago, Knurek said:

Since at times there's only 10kg of steam per tile I'd say it's possible that the p water which goes to the left of the vent can cool down the steam above it (tile with atmo sensor) enough for it to condense to water. After it boils again for an instant the pressure is low enough and p water below can off-gas.

Throwing a metal tempshift plate at the vent might fix your problem.

Hmm. I don't think so currently, but it is possible that I had the temp-sensor set a bit lower during adjustment. I will check how much safety margin is in there. Temp-shift plate is an option. Another one is raising the lower pressure limit to, say, 15kg steam or so. Or maybe lower pwater input, which currently is 3kg/sec and up to 100kg/tile. Especially the latter may be too much. Will update with what I find.

Update: Good idea, but I observed the steam only going down to 125C. Maybe there is some rare condition that takes it lower, maybe even something on reload. I have now reduced pwater flow and maximum pwater level to put in more margin. 

Anyways, thanks. Sometimes you need to have somebody else look at things, no matter how smart you are.

Archived