Beta: Wormwood Needs More Love Tell me I'm Wrong

All of these are things I've noticed as a long time player with a lot of hours I dont want every change I've written down however I think many would be for the better.

Bramble husk 1:(more damage when taking damage)  or 2:(reduce crafting to 2 or 3 bone shards )or 3 (85% or 90% reduction and add a slow like marble armor) 4:(Start with Bramble husk might least fav idea but would be incredibly effective

Bramble traps  1(make it hit ariel targets)  2(Stingers? Really? make it feasible to build other than world hoping maybe make stingers drop more from scorpions 50% chance poison gland 50% stinger. 100% monster meat 10% chitin) or 3:( make spider gorillas drop teeth so I can have some traps or change the craft to teeth.) or  4:( Make stingers like living logs maybe 5 for 20 health) 5:(porcupine quills would also be far superior to stingers at the least you could make a better trap with said quills)

Make his craftable healing bloom him like in together. We don't need fertilizers we have sprinklers but I wanna see more blooming its half the reason to play him. Other wise I'm just gonna find easier ways to make heals or you know.. buy them with money.

Have balloon land on BFB Island or Pig Queen and have some skeletons that way 1:(cloth is still on map without having to buy or break 80 pots cause that's a lot of rng). 2:(Wormwood can break skeletons for Bramble husk. 3:(A sense of accomplishment and lore applications)

1:(I can't stress enough make other items insulators like pith hat. Snakeskin jacket and hat will prevent lightning but what are you gonna do in the fog with a snakeskin jacket and a pith hat when bats run up on you. You switch the jacket to armor you get hit by lightning you switch the hat to armor your reduced to a crawl. Your options become so limited that if the next season wasn't good for Wormwood I wouldn't play Wormwood. Lightning happens 1 season and its basically sit inside time for Wormwood.I've had easier times with gas mask wigfrid runs. ) 2:( Explorers pack prevents fog slow has insulation and 4 inventory spaces easy fix)

Healing 1:(Since he has 0 options for health foods make his healing 10% more for poultice, glands, sacks, etc) or 2:(Spawn a healing well where the balloon crashes or spawn) or 3:( easier sap farm or please a easy way to keep grubs out. Something anything how am I supposed to honey farm without world hopping when they are so incredibly annoying) or 4:( Craftable honey box that I could build on surface so I can turn sap into honey)

Snaptooth Seeds: Made with 1 living log 1 sap and 1 vine make baby snaptooth to be used as base protection that way i dont have to drag them across the map or lead a wave of bats into the forest. Plant in ground for 5 sanity takes 1 minute to grow.

I've survived and gotten to clock as many characters but Wormwood is the biggest struggle character. His negatives far out way his posetives without 2nd tier magic and even then I wouldn't advise someone play him rn if they were new to the game. I get it he's a challenge character but I can't craft half his crafts until 2/3s into my first year Wigfrid starts with hers! I will continue my beta test play because I love this game I'd love to hear discussion and see change for my fav plant boy. If I think of more I'll add more.

I've been a Wormwood main for a while. He's an interesting character to play as, with the sharp disadvantage of not healing from food counterbalanced with great sanity control with seeds and greatly increased food availability with anywhere planting and not being hurt by toxic foods like red caps and monster meat.

On the Bramble Husk, the availability of materials for them are definitely tight, but it's manageable. You can get the most out of dung piles by having Wormwood dig through them twice, and letting the dung beetle ball the rest and plunder that, though your odds of getting bone shards are much higher from the pile than from the ball, assuming the ball can give any at all. If you're really after those bone shards, you may be better off just going through the whole pile yourself. It's a rare and valuable piece that's best saved for the right situation, when you're up against swarming enemies and kiting them is less than ideal. Once you're able to defeat the Pugalisk though, the scarcity of bone shards is no longer an issue.

As for the traps, it does seem to me, given how the bats are so present in Hamlet, that Wormwood should be a little better equipped to handle them, with proximity activated bramble traps that strike airborne targets. Maybe have a leaf as the trigger that activates with the disruption caused by a bat's flight, but also has the disadvantage of going off and needing to be reset in the event of strong wind? Stingers are fine. Difficult, but not unreasonable. Scorpions aren't all that difficult to farm and grind, considering they can spawn from rainforest trees and are vulnerable to basket traps.

Updating Compost Wrap to trigger blooming, and having the wrecked balloon (with skeletons) on BFB's island are fine ideas, I don't think his healing needs to be buffed, but I love the idea of snaptooth seeds, except they should require a Flytrap Stalk among other things, which not only solves the issue of needing to drag them across the islands of Hamlet, but also grants their use outside of Hamlet.

Humid Season is total hell for Wormwood, given his greater vulnerability to fire, the risk of lightning strikes, and difficulty healing. I usually spend humid seasons around town, around some installed lightning rods, but if I do get caught in the very nasty situation of a bat attack in the fog, that'd be a time to break out the bramble husk, with a thunderhat, and tank though my inability to kite due to losing the ability to outpace a lethargic slug. I'm not sure, but I think wevole mantles also negate fog mobility penalty, so that might also be an option.

I've seen several of your post. I'm not disagreeing in the long term boneshards and stingers will come by. I would like to see more potential with his character there are a lot of focuses year one and Rng can be hell 4 bone shards isn't a guarantee for awhile and a stinger is a 15% drop I believe(as its poisonous). I want to see his tool more usable thats all and I thank you for your comments.

The issue I have is I'd rather make a snaptooth ring for my bats then make a Bramble husk unless its fever season. Pugelisk is one of the easiest bosses cause you don't even need to beat it you can really just throw a single coconade or take the living water run and plant it the other drops are meh. Understand however new players won't know how to prevent lightning from cloths/Killing a Pugelisk and asking any New Wormwood to use pith hat and snake skin jacket in the fog and do a lot of productive work isnt much they'll probably just starve and jump off him.

I think he's a gem in together but together is a more inclusive learning experience when you could have a wortox to teach the game and cover your boo boos. I just want more for him then the beta buff especially if Wigfrid gets Meaty Nettles cause I got to clock in 20 days murdered bosses and easily survived my first year before that update. Accessibility is key to newer characters thats why Wigs a must pick for most and Wormwoods not.

Some really good tips though I'm taking notes haha Hamlets the hardest of the dlcs however and like all the dlcs...food isn't scarce and neither is the sanity its honestly better to pick flowers in the forest they spawn many a bugs. There's a whole biome of charcoal,rope in forest from vines, etc the place is abundant with natural resources for all which I feel takes away from Wormwood growing eggplant or dragon fruit day 1 when there's 1000s of radishes and alloe.

I agree Knowledge is power hes viable but His crafts take awhile and there are better things to focus for awhile.

Archived