Friend gets bad password error when entering caves?

I've been hosting a DST world with my friend and I, and we've been playing normally for about 80 days now. I had already entered the caves a few times, but my friend entered for the first time today and received a bad password error upon entering, as well as a bad password error every time he enters the server. I've been able to rollback the game a few days to pull him out of the caves and stop the error, but entering the caves seems to start the issue again.

I'm not running a dedicated server, it's just through steam. All don't starve together apps are allowed through the firewall. I've disabled mods. Really not sure why it's only happening with caves thus far.

Are you actually using a server password?

If so you could try removing the password then setting the server to friends only and 2 players only. This way you don't have to worry about a password and it still acts like a private server for you and your friend.

Originally I was using a password, but I have since removed it. Even then, he's still getting the bad password error when entering the caves.

I also forgot to mention in the original post, but the server has always been on friends only, 2 players.

I'm just confused as to why it's only the caves which are causing issue for him.  

Archived