Suggestion about controls for casting spells

With Maxwell rework as many already experienced in order to use spell one needs to use mouse. While doing so one has option to cast spell via primary action and cancel casting via secondary action; however, players have 2 options to move and attack: via mouse or keyboard (WASDF). While for player running and attacking via keyboard it's ok to do both casting and cancelling via mouse, if one runs with mouse, let alone attacks with it it's impossible to simultaneously run/attack and be ready to cast spell, let alone reach that smoothness and convenience, and since mouse attacking was made a thing relatively recently I thought the following suggestion has a chance to pass.

Make casting action be 3rd type of action, in addition to primary and secondary, and let player rebind control to it including extra buttons on mouse.

This way I, for example, as player who runs with mouse, would be able to bind spell casting to mouse wheel or button of my choice on keyboard and perform spell while still being able to run, use left-click and right-click for primary and secondary action while managing inventory and during play session in general. If it's absolutely not possible, I suppose I would have to learn how to move with WASD after all with relatively ok-ish smoothness, but if I could keep moving with mouse while not sacrificing combat efficiency as Maxwell I would be incredibly happy. Since alternative way to move and even attack is a thing, I think making it fully functional option is only natural.

If such change was made another character-specific interactions like switching aggro mode of Abigail or desummoning her, as well as release of Wortox's soul could be treated as 3rd action and therefore binded to something (and be configurable). The reason I mentioned them as well is because for moving with WASD it's much more convenient to use mouse for those actions compared to moving with mouse, since moving cursor back to inventory bar and back to original place not only stops movement, but also takes more time compared to WASDF variant and thus makes those actions performed slower.

If anyone wanted to keep current situation as is, one could just bind 3rd action and primary action to the same control, or set 3rd action to no bind.

Edit (from message below): to elaborate more on how it works for mouse movement. I'm selecting codex with mouse or hotkey and choose spell with mouse, but after that I need to click on a screen to actually cast it. Problem is with second part, where I want to be able to run and cast, not with selecting codex or spell.

21 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

This way I, for example, as player who runs with mouse, would be able to bind spell casting to mouse wheel or button of my choice on keyboard

You can already accomplish this by binding an inventory slot of your choice to any key/button and putting Codex in that slot.

15 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

You can already accomplish this by binding an inventory slot of your choice to any key and putting Codex in that slot.

I mean that if I'm going to move with mouse and have spell ready, then I would just click to the place I want to run to, but instead I would cast spell. I want to be able to run to the place but not cast spell while still keeping it ready. It's impossible as long as both running to the place and casting is treated as the same group of actions; with WASD movement and mouse casting this condition is fullfilled, problem is movement with mouse is primary action as well as triggering spell casting, not to mention interaction with the inventory. If I binded codex to hotkey, that would just let me activate codex, but wouldn't help with spell-casting itself, isn't it?

Edit: to elaborate more on how it works for mouse movement. I'm selecting codex with mouse or hotkey and choose spell with mouse, but after that I need to click on a screen to actually cast it. Problem is with second part, where I want to be able to run and cast, not with selecting codex or spell.

9 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

I'm selecting codex with mouse or hotkey and choose spell with mouse, but after that I need to click on a screen to actually cast it. Problem is with second part, where I want to be able to run and cast, not with selecting codex or spell.

Ah, my mistake. In that case the casting action would be a good idea to add, assuming there's a way to code it that works with inventory slots.

Archived