Maxwell the master of magic

In Maxwell's refresh/rework we have seen a couple things added to his character-

• Max's shadows were reworked and behave differently now, with the duelist actually being usable for dmg but less as a distraction, and the minions being conjured with a simple spell rather then 2 fuel and a item.
  • A magical storage system that in a multiplayer environment is very useful to be used with many characters, furthering what he offers to a team besides easy resource acquisition.
  • Max is no longer effected by shadow equipment negatively via the passive drain.
  • 2 all new spells, both can cc targets and the snare has additional nightmare-fuel production capability's

Now Maxwell is already a lot better than he was before, where he was essentially a walking talking tam with infinite tools and that was about it. 

I will say however... there was one thing I was hoping for when they changed Maxwell and that was for him to be more proficient in the ways of magic! Sure, anyone can wave a stick with a gem jammed on the end of it and freeze a rabbit, so simple a child could do it (and they often do, heck even the talking tree who was born yesterday figured it out, respect to all those happy talking vines).

But what could a real magician, with the knowledge of a book of shadows incarnate and who was previously the king of Shadows, do with such magical items?

Well at the moment, the same as everyone else.

I have some proposed ideas that I would not mind seeing- 

1. Reduced durability use on magic equipment- now obviously this wouldn't apply to dark-swords or night-armor, because that would be a bit silly, and it steps on the toes of wig and her battle song of a similar effect. If it should just increase the effective uses of an ice staff or how many times a amulet could be used (lets say one additional use of a construction amulet and decon-staff so it doesn't get too out of hand) I think that alone would be a fun little addition to max's kit.
  2. Alternatively or additionally, increased effectiveness with magic items- Using the ice staff as an example again, we could end up having to use less cast to freeze a target or even making it have some other effect or attack. Resurrecting with magic like the effigies, touchstones or amulets, could give him all his stats back to full unlike other characters, pretty minor but sounds nice. Perhaps this could introduce some interesting interactions with magic structures as well, who knows, Maxwell just seems like he has a lot of potential for something cool in this area.
  3. One or two additional magic items that max can craft, Or magic upgrades with the imbue function- kind of speaks for itself really, could be something funny relating to his old act, a wand, a deck of cards (a friend recommended tarot cards that could represent the survivors in some way, could be fun) heck, perhaps a rabbit conjured up out of shadow magic.

The old magic act idea could have some interesting perks to it, like levitation tricks or escape artist type things, could be a nice way to compliment his low health playstyle by giving him a gimmick to "escape" a situation some what but not entirely seeing as it is a magic "trick". Heh, that could be a good name for it if it were a spell.

anyway, I just wanted to spark some creative conversation before he is out and finished up, I personally love Maxwell and think he has a lot of potential to be... well, amazing. I want to see the "Amazing Maxwell!", minus that final act I think... that was just freaky, but everything else was probably pretty cool from the audience perspective.

Let me know what you think, I would love to see the perspective of others on these ideas!       

2 hours ago, ZeRoboButler said:

1. One or two additional magic items that max can craft, Or magic upgrades with the imbue function- kind of speaks for itself really, could be something funny relating to his old act, a wand, a deck of cards (a friend recommended tarot cards that could represent the survivors in some way, could be fun) heck, perhaps a rabbit conjured up out of shadow magic.    

Thinking of making the Codex an equippable weapon sounds cool. Could be a mid ranged- slow- low dmg weapon that consumes like 5 sanity per atk

Archived