"Authentification failed" upon exiting caves: attempt to figure out exact conditions

Sometimes when player uses migration portals (sinkholes) instead of normally loading into the world player gets stuck on "connecting" screen, and after relogging into the game "authentification failed" message is shown upon attempt to rejoin. I checked and it was't related to my account (everything was updated), neither to the server (that dedicated server had 0 mods and quite good connection). But I don't have enough information to post it on bug tracker, and problem seem to be connected to 2 players using migration portals at the same time (this is my guess, I'm not sure). Which means I can't properly test it in order to figure out exact conditions. This problem also occurs on official servers, and I had several people confirming that they encountered the problem.

I would like anyone who is familiar with this problem to write here conditions in which it happened to them.

I believe is related to a much older (years-older) problem, namely when 2 players access almost concomitantly the other shard (be it entering or exiting Caves at ~same moment): the one with weaker internet connection seems to be stuck in an infinite loop of sorts, like some "cyclic redundancy error" type. At some point said player encountering the infinite loop connection gets disconnected and at times, trying to reconnect, gives that "authentification failed" adjacent message. One remedy in case of dedicated servers is for owner to restart the Caves shard. There's another, even more nastier error, likewise without any message most times, where changing shards erases all character progress and delivers the character selection screen when finally managing to transit between shards. Similarly, owner restarting the dedicated server will remedy. Needless to say, will be worth for KLei inquiring into mentioned issues for game's health.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

when 2 players access almost concomitantly the other shard (be it entering or exiting Caves at ~same moment): the one with weaker internet connection seems to be stuck in an infinite loop of sorts

Last time it happened to me the other player was stuck in infinite loop as well. We used different cave entrances and both went in the same direction (both exited caves), so I can at least be certain that using the same sinkhole has nothing to do with the problem; I wonder if the problem occurs if 2 players are using sinkhole at the same time but go in different directions. 

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

One remedy in case of dedicated servers is for owner to restart the Caves shard.

That is how we solved the problem yesterday, but on official Klei serves this option is not available. Plus by the time owner responds entire season can pass (I was planning to farm goat herds in spring, but was stuck in loading loop for almost entire season, and missed opportunity to do that until the next irl day).

1 hour ago, Pig Princess said:

... I wonder if the problem occurs if 2 players are using sinkhole at the same time but go in different directions.

It doesn't matter if is same sinkhole or different ones, or if one enters Caves while the other one exits (at roughly the same time), problem manifests the same way - infinite loading loop ('till disconnecting). Happened to me plenty times, in KLei official servers, on community dedicated pubs and even on personal servers (and personal servers of friends). This is a very-very old issue, I believe since ANR updates began to pour in or even since DST's initial Beta. I just live with it by now as some "working as intended" ignored error since people don't know enough to complain - this on the background of bulk player-base playing alone most sessions (thus not encountering it to underline on forums/Bug tracker). But I noticed quite the number of "Authentication Failed" complaint print-screens in past posted on various Discord Servers or even on these forums.

Archived