A reworked / tweaked Character Select Screen.

So this has been something I thought about for a while.

The current character select screen was introduced a long while ago. I don't know which update exactly changed it but I think it was either the Forge or Winona Update (The update that added Winona, not the rework.)

It's fine. It does it's job. But I always thought that the old one looked very cool! There is a large focus on the portraits and the spiral in the background spins! This symbolizes the Florid Postern, of course. But the old one rather flawed. With the amount of characters the game has now, it would be hard to get  a character who's in the middle of the pack like Webber or Wigfrid.

The new one fixes this by having all characters on one screen, but shrinks the icons down by a lot. There is also some inconsitency with how much space the heads take up. Until recently the heads had different sizes, based on the amount of hair. Meaning that someone like Wilson, who had large hair, would be smaller than Maxwell, who bearly has any hair at all. Another thing that is mildly infuriating is the fact that the character select screen isn't symetric. There is an icon missing to make it!

Spoiler

16345170_Bildschirmfoto2022-08-30um15_06_08.thumb.png.184194ff363a4473fc2e4b5717558d1c.png

So I thought to myself: What if I took the look and style from the old menu, while keeping the speed from the old menu? I came up with a design that works on both a dark background and light background! There is some stuff missing from the new screen. The amount of Health, Hunger and Sanity is missing. But I believe you can add that on the screen where you customize your character. That I haven't changed. I believe that the current version of that is fine. Take a look and tell me what you think of these designs!

Spoiler

160120303_DSTBetterSelectLight.thumb.png.effa6cf2f4d717f6abda1244bf0e0de1.png1257971015_DSTBetterSelectDark.thumb.png.0e66838fb9aea89f791bf47866b226b0.png

The new screen features a list of all characters on the top of the screen, allowing you to choose your survivor quickly. On top of that there's also a last played section, showing you the 4 most recently played characters. The screen could feature the spinning spiral from the old screen, or a new, dark version. For the dark design I used the already used backdrop. However, I don't think that there is an animated version of the dark one. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make one though!

There also is a button to toggle between regular characters and mod characters! It's the button with the little Wilson-Post-it-Note button. Though I suppose having too many mod characters could break the bar at the top. But Having so many mod characters is probably kind of hard, right?

I also think you could maybe have an ingame option on which design you prefer. I small setting like the moving heads option. "Survivor Select Theme".

So what do you guys think? Please give me some feedback.

I always use more than 20+ mod characters and sometimes playable pets so I greatly prefer the current menu which is nice and very efficient. Having it replaced with something like the old one or even this would make it inconvenient again if using a good amount of mod characters..

Though as an optional layout while keeping the current one, I wouldn't mind.

Archived