I'm wondering a few things.

So not a long time ago i open a dedicated server so i could play with friends but after that i had some doubts.

Is there any significant down side when hosting a dedicated server? I expect some decrease with the perfomance since i did this with my laptop.

But maybe idk something related to internet of similar?

I have seen some people do their own dedicated servers instead of renting one since i suppose do it for your own is free and i did it as well.

According to a wiki fandom "A Dedicated Server is an optimized version of Don't Starve Together (DST) that has been designed to be run for longer periods of time, with none of the graphical overhead" 

Is it just simple as that or i'm missing something?

The big downside of a dedicated server is that you have to set it up, and/or pay for it, if you rent a server. The client one is just click host and done.

Also when you host it on the same machine, it CAN have a negative impact on performance, if you have less than 4 CPU cores. If you have 4 or more CPU cores however, it can improve performance, since you "outsource" the Hosting part from the client thread into a seperate dedicated server thread.

Keep in mind that if you let your server run passwordless while you are not on it, people can join and destroy stuff without your notice till it's way too late I guess.

Other than that there's no other downsides.

3 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

The big downside of a dedicated server is that you have to set it up, and/or pay for it, if you rent a server. The client one is just click host and done.

Also when you host it on the same machine, it CAN have a negative impact on performance, if you have less than 4 CPU cores. If you have 4 or more CPU cores however, it can improve performance, since you "outsource" the Hosting part from the client thread into a seperate dedicated server thread.

Keep in mind that if you let your server run passwordless while you are not on it, people can join and destroy stuff without your notice till it's way too late I guess.

Other than that there's no other downsides.

When you say "The client one is just click host and done" you mean the ones that you can do with steamCMD and console commands right? I did that so i guess i don't have to pay anything right?

13 minutes ago, Ma4udo said:

When you say "The client one is just click host and done" you mean the ones that you can do with steamCMD and console commands right?

No, the client one is in the DST client itself when you click on host game in your main menu.
No need for steamcmd, no need for commandos, just host it like you'd play a local game.

The steamcmd one is the dedicated DST server. You can either run it on your own computer, or on a dedicated machine/server.

14 minutes ago, Ma4udo said:

I did that so i guess i don't have to pay anything right?

Exactly, running a dedicated DST server only costs money, if you rent (or buy) a server to run it on. If you just run it on existing hardware it's free.

5 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

No, the client one is in the DST client itself when you click on host game in your main menu.
No need for steamcmd, no need for commandos, just host it like you'd play a local game.

The steamcmd one is the dedicated DST server. You can either run it on your own computer, or on a dedicated machine/server.

Exactly, running a dedicated DST server only costs money, if you rent (or buy) a server to run it on. If you just run it on existing hardware it's free.

Alright, tysm! You really help me a lot.

I was also wondering if lag is present in dedicated servers, currently we tried to increase the number of players to join our server, but the lag was so intense it seems like the host’s pc couldn’t handle it. Is it possible that if we try creating a dedicated server that there would be less or no lag at all? Since manual coding or creating your own dedicated server is the only downside.

We know that the main cause are too many players and we play with shipwrecked and hamlet mods. But we’re looking to see if we can still host while still having these mods.

22 hours ago, Anowaaa said:

I was also wondering if lag is present in dedicated servers

Lag is never entirely preventable. It really depends on the individual circumstances, such as Performance of the host, latency to the host, available bandwidth between the host and the Clients, etc.

we tried to increase the number of players to join our server, but the lag was so intense it seems like the host’s pc couldn’t handle it. Is it possible that if we try creating a dedicated server that there would be less or no lag at all?

Yes, very possible, but not guaranteed.

There's always the chance to still encounter lag, or even more, if the Host runs the dedicated server, as well as the own game, instead of just hosting the game using the client due to the added overhead.

On the other hand it's well possible that lag vastly decreases due to outsourcing the server threead into it's own dedicated server, freeing it from running the client at the same time, if you have enough CPU cores to not interfere with the client, or running it on it's own machine.

Since manual coding or creating your own dedicated server is the only downside.

Just creating the dedicated server. No need to code. It's all just copy paste from the vast amount of good tutorials out there.

We know that the main cause are too many players and we play with shipwrecked and hamlet mods. But we’re looking to see if we can still host while still having these mods.

Haven't used them so far, but I reckon it should be possible, especially if you run the server on a appropriately powerful machine. (Depends on the amount of players ofc as well)

Archived