A smattering of hostile flare suggestions

Presented in the order that I thought* of them, with little consideration to balance**. I quite like the idea of the hostile flare, and wanted it to have more numerous applications. I hope you like 'em, or that it inspires you to make even better ones!

If a character uses a hostile flare:

1. During the day in the Summer, and if Antlion has not been slain, there is a 60% chance they become enraged and summons craters/boulders at the players location. Then resets to the minimum aggression timer.

2. During the evening after the Terrarium has been activated there is a 100% chance that during the night the boss will zero in on the character that used the flare.

3. During spring while it rains there is a 100% chance the character (or nearby lightning rod) will be struck by lightning.

4. During the night while in a graveyard each nearby ransacked grave will have a  60% chance to spawn a ghost.

5. Anytime a hound or depth worm wave is about to spawn (they hear the noises, but nothing has spawned yet), there is a 100% chance that 1 additional varglet or depth worm will attack the character that used the flare, but 1 less varglet or depth worm will summon and attack the other players, provided they are in different locations. (If in single player worlds, then it still spawns an additional.)

6. During an active hunt they have started but not got to the end of. There is a 75% chance that the Koalefant spawning chance will be removed, forcing either a Varg or an Ewecus to spawn.

7. During evening or night while close to a tier 3 spider den, there is a 60% chance that it turns into a spiderqueen.

8. At any point, it increases their naughtiness by 5.

9. During the day while on a farm plot that contains multiple rotted plants there is a 60% chance the lord of the Fruit Flies gets summoned

10. During an earthquake or a meteor shower many more projectiles will spawn.

11. While in the swamp, all nearby tentacles will rise out of the ground whip around, then head back underground.

12. While in deep ocean, there is a 20% chance for the Malbatross to spawn. If it does, then a monkey raid does not spawn.

13. While in the ruins, there is a 60% chance that each nearby broken clockworks will spawn a damaged knight/bishop/rook.

14. While near a trapped chest, there is a 75% chance that the trap activates, though if the trap changes heath, hunger, sanity or durability of tools, the effects are reduced by the amount of distance to the trap.

15. While near open Anenemies, there is a 100% chance they shut.

16. During a full moon while a Moon Caller's Staff ritual is taking place will have a 70% chance to summon 2 more werepigs, and a 60% chance to summon 2 elemental hounds.

17. Right before placing a Deer Antler into the loot stash will have a 100% chance to cause Klaus to be enraged when he is summoned, while still having both his gemdeer to assist him.***

18. In a server with PVP enabled, will cause nearby characters to say a voiceline showcasing their dislike and perform the angry emote.

19. During the day while near an exposed sinkhole up to six Batilisks quickly spawn, each with a 70% chance.

20. During the night and their sanity is lower than 70%, 2 additional night hands (if near a campfire/firepit) or 2 wavy jones spawn and there is a 50% chance that a crawling horror (or a terrorclaw) appear and are hostile (can damage/be damaged) to the character, even if they are not low enough sanity for them to be hostile, normally.

*There's a chance some people already suggested these ideas, if so my apologies (And apologies for grammatical issues as well).
**Or feasibility. There's a definite real chance that some of these cannot be implemented for technological reasons.
***Alternatively, instead of enraging him, he instead could have 2 additional gem deer. 

These don't really make much sense imo. The idea behind the Hostile Flare is that it's alerting far-away enemies to your location, they see the big explosion in the sky and come investigate, while these suggestions seem to make it more of an all-purpose "activate/spawn the thing" item. Why would a big red cloud in the sky cause anenemies to activate? Or shadow creatures to spawn? Or tentacles to activate? Or lightning to strike?

55 minutes ago, sylvia wander o said:

These don't really make much sense imo. The idea behind the Hostile Flare is that it's alerting far-away enemies to your location, they see the big explosion in the sky and come investigate, while these suggestions seem to make it more of an all-purpose "activate/spawn the thing" item. Why would a big red cloud in the sky cause anenemies to activate? Or shadow creatures to spawn? Or tentacles to activate? Or lightning to strike?

I view it differently, you're specifically annoying the enemies so that they come closer and attack. The anenamies and tentacles are traps, they get sprayed with glommers goop, and so that activates them thinking there's prey on top of them. After revealing yourself in the dark with low sanity, this can cause Shadow creatures to attack you now that you've made yourself vulnerable to detection. As for the lightning, you just sent the flare directly into the sky... of course it's going to retaliate the only way it can. And thanks for checking the ideas out!

Some of them dont actually make too much sense to me (like, tentacles only sense vibration above them so them waking up because of light is actually weird)

But i absolutely love the malbatross idea, it wont even be intrussive to monkey raids because there can be only a malbatross at a time, so if you want the falre for the raids you summon malba and then do your bussiness

@Capybara007 I was moreso thinking that the flares would eventually either land, causing the vibrations for the tentacles, and anenomies, or spray them with the glommer goop, also triggering them. I wasn't thinking the flare was just light that caused the creatures to come nearer, but also the annoyance of the goop.

I'm glad you like it! Was originally thinking that it'd be an even lower percentage, but could also allow for monky raid, but I think this is a more elegant solution. 

Archived