Was Maxwell always stuck in the Constant?

The topic title might sound like a strange question, but when I think about it, his dialogue while on the throne is really strange especially with Return of Them. There was nothing except dust, the void, and Them (I'm assuming this means the "Moon" and the originator of nightmare fuel, maybe the Gnaw as well), according to Maxwell. That means he had to have created everything in the constant, including the ancients. And what I find strange is that he seemingly missed the Archive in it's entirety despite it having it's own language and all, which is really strange to forget or not notice an entire time period where there was enough time for a new language or writing system to change.

Hence my question, is it possible when he first arrived at the Constant, he wasn't stuck? He could back to the his world at will? And due to the weird way time works in the constant, every time he left a long time passed in the Constant? The fact that he knows that time works strange relative to his world isn't something one would assume without experiencing it for themselves first.

I have good reason to believe he knew how to exit the Constant. In the comic for the dst trailer for "A New Reign," it is shown that he (or at least the Codex Umbra) has knowledge on how to build a portal between worlds and that he tried to do so with Wilson, but didn't work as it was supposed to due to outside interference. I bet the Teleportato was a way to exit the Constant before he repurposed it to mess with the survivors, before or while he got stuck due to the Nightmare throne. Also even without mentioning the Codex Umbra, Wagstaff states that "I've found it! The portal that can link worlds! The throne of ultimate power!!", so Maxwell could travel between worlds, if the Throne didn't always trap the person sat on it.

I think that Maxwell used the Constant to make stuff for his magic act, in order to become more popular. But They didn't like Maxwell using the Constant in this way and changed the Nightmare Throne to keep him trapped the next time he'd sit down onto Nightmare Throne.

None of Maxwell's quotes seems to hint that he could go back early on, but it's really strange that he has no knowledge of the Archive and language, like extremely strange. My bet is that he only entered the Constant 3 times, first to create the ancients, gems, carrots etc. Second to create pigs. And then got stuck the last time.

This might be a crackpot theory but I thought it was really strange he never knew the Archive existed, since it must've been a big deal, both that it was built in an abnormal location compared to other things built by them, as well that it was very decorated and advanced. My only theories as to why would be that either the ancients who made it were very secretive, or Maxwell wasn't around to see them build it.