[Suggestion] New Building: Security Gate

A gate which can only be opened and closed by its original installer. Other players who attempt to operate the gate will receive a message like what you normally get from a sign:" Access denied, you are not [original installer's name]".

It serves as a reminder to other players that this area is private, but not as an actual secure guard. Other players can still break in by destroying the gate or the walls around it. (The security gate can be broken in the same sense that walls can be broken. It's an attempt to establish security, but is not absolutely safe.)

(Optionally, the gate can send a chat message (or messages in other forms) to the installer about the trespasser, when someone tries to destroy the gate or the walls it connects to. If the installer is offline, the message can also wait.)

It is essentially a communication means and posts an extra burden for those who wants to break in. Sometimes, "friendly" friends disrespect your boundary and sneak in your treasures behind your back.

It doesn't change game play, since all mobs and players can still pass the door one way or another. It's not a grief prevention measure.

Sounds like a lot of hassle and this might actually cause more problems rather than fix them.

If anything - universal storage sounds like the best solution. This way you could keep items you dont want others to touch.

Even better if it could also store backpacks inside.

2 minutes ago, Orchids said:

this might actually cause more problems

Can you give me some examples? I'm curious.

2 minutes ago, Orchids said:

universal storage sounds like the best solution. This way you could keep items you dont want others to touch.

I'm not sure what you mean. What we have right now is already universal storage, I assume?

3 minutes ago, goatt said:

Can you give me some examples? I'm curious.

Imagine a public server just filled with personal gates, it would be a hassle to navigate, and would probably be used by trolls/griefers more often than not in order to block specific spots/the base itself.

3 minutes ago, goatt said:

I'm not sure what you mean. What we have right now is already universal storage, I assume?

We do not have any universal storage as of current. Think of stuff like Ender Chest in Minecraft, or Piggy Bank/Safe/Void Bag in Terraria.

It's a storage item that's personal per player, yet wherever and whenever you open it - it would always store the same items (for you only).

So essentially you could put 5 twigs in a specific chest in the Oasis, then open the same chest in the atrium and it would still have the same 5 twigs in it. Although - if your friend will open it - it would be empty (or store whatever he put in there instead)

4 minutes ago, Orchids said:

it would be a hassle to navigate, and would probably be used by trolls/griefers more often than not in order to block specific spots/the base itself.

I think the idea is that the gate is easy to break down, it can't stop players nor mobs. It's a mild reminder to whoever wants to take stuff that this is not yours. So I don't think it's good for trolling or griefing, as it can't effectively block anyone. In other words, you can punch it 3 times to break it just like the regular door. But the players it can stop are those who still want to respect the stuff owner's message.

9 minutes ago, Orchids said:

universal storage

I see what you mean. It's kinda mind boggling to me, even tho the concept seems simple. Also I'm not sure how it can fit into the story of the Constant. It sounds quite op. Maybe I still have the wrong idea xD. idk

On 6/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, goatt said:

you can punch it 3 times to break it just like the regular door.

Sounds like it wont be much help anyways then - you could alternatively just place a sign next to the area/chest with a normal gate, then.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, goatt said:

I see what you mean. It's kinda mind boggling to me, even tho the concept seems simple. Also I'm not sure how it can fit into the story of the Constant. It sounds quite op. Maybe I still have the wrong idea xD. idk

To be honest there's nearly one in every single survival game, if not more. It wouldn't be so out of place. I bet Klei could come up with some smart excuse for it, maybe it could be related to shadow/lunar magic.

15 hours ago, Orchids said:

you could alternatively just place a sign next to the area/chest with a normal gate, then

You are correct. It essentially just a door combined with a sign, and the door won't open to wrong players. It will otherwise just be a regular gate.

So I think my title is probably misleading. But I can't come up with better description. Maybe you can help me?

Archived