Please continue to improve (Auto)Pause functionality for controller play.

When I came back to the game a couple months ago, I was pretty excited to find the pause and auto-pause functionality added in. I often play alone and frequently do so with a controller, the latter of which has some big challenges just in general which were considerably complicated by the inability to freeze time to perform certain operations. Yes, it could be done, but for many purposes (especially inventory management), it was just generally much slower than K+M play, which is bad when the game is always moving.

Auto-pause really made life a lot easier this way, but still suffers some issues, at least some of which seem specific to controller play:

1. Using items to fuel other items in the inventory (such as using light bulbs in a lantern, or nightmare fuel in the many things it refuels) while auto-paused in inventory management mode on the controller is very cumbersome, because for each refueling, you have to pick up the fuel, drag it over to the item, press the fueling/etc. button, then leave inventory management; rinse and repeat. An item like a miner's hat can take as many as 5 light bulbs or much, much more slurtle slime to completely refuel, so as you can imagine, this can be a real hassle.

2. Related to 1: fueling/etc. items with other items in the inventory only works when the fuel item is in the player's basic inventory; if the item used to refuel is in the backpack, a container, or what have you, the option to refuel exists, but quietly fails. So if for example you have light bulbs in your backpack and want to refuel a miner's hat, you have to first move them to your basic inventory and then go through the above tedium.

3. A relatively minor nuisance is that starting a craft with the crafting menu open and auto-pause on will not unpause until you let go of the button, requiring you to release it and press it again to repeatedly craft the same item (instead of pressing and holding once). However...

4. Trying to craft an item with prerequisite crafts for which you have the materials (e.g. trying to craft a spear with flint, twigs, and grass in your inventory, which should first attempt to craft the rope needed) doesn't unpause at all; the player will have to exit the crafting menu, wait for that craft to finish, then open it up and craft again, rinsing and repeating for each needed prerequisite craft. Again, this can get very tedious.

I realize the auto-pause functionality for inventory management and crafting is probably largely a courtesy to solo players and thus may be lower priority than some other issues, but continued improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Archived