Carbon Dioxide Rockets Only

I talked to someone on Twitch who said that they used carbon dioxide rockets along with refueling, I think in part or totally, to go from asteroid to asteroid to reach more advanced resources more quickly.  That sounds like an intelligent uses of resources.  Anyone else done this?  Have any estimate as to the cycle count at which their reach each asteroid in their playthrough?  Any tips or suggestions for someone attempting this?

The numbers, if I got them correct, on using duplicant gas suggest that would be slow.

But a hatch or stone hatch can go on a rocket, and most asteroids have something that they can eat, in addition to bringing along coal or edible material, in addition to many asteroids having CO2 naturally.

I use CO2 rockets anywhere I possibly can. Most asteroids are not more than 6 tiles apart, though on some map types there are ones further away. You can still colonize an asteroid further away than 6 tiles by self-destructing the CO2 rocket at its maximum range so the escape pod finishes the journey. In principle you could almost certainly beat the game using only CO2 rockets, by just self-destructing to move dupes and cheap materials on journeys further than 6 tiles and using the Interplanetary Payload Launcher for convenience and to avoid the resource loss which comes from self-destruct for some things. 

Of course some of the distant asteroids are hard to colonize without a rocket landing for the dupes to use as a home, but if you bombard it with enough supplies it should be doable.

Archived