The unwatched pacu never flops?

I noticed that all my pacus on the swampy asteroid had died off. They were in a small room, with all three kinds of eggs being automatically moved to an Automatic Dispenser, dropping them in a separate room, from there they would flop back into the pool through an open door. It's a common enough setup and was working correctly.

I then spent a long time setting up the oily asteroid and came back to the pacus being extinct.

I printed another 8 from the printing pod and immediately went away for a while. I came back and only then did they started flopping their way into the pool, which they did within a few seconds. Leading to the hypothesis that the pacus had died off because I hadn't looked at them for a long enough time/

I've then reproduced this in sandbox, that grounded pacus appear frozen in time until you actually look at them: this occurring both if the screen is elsewhere on the same asteroid, or is on another asteroid - but practically would only seem to be a real potential issue in Spaced Out.

This issue would seem to mean the only safe unattended pacu farm is one with a giant room where the eggs always remain in liquid.

Archived