Core-cooled metal refinery

I am currently playing Spaced Out on the upside-down asteroid without teleporters.  On this asteroid, there is no oil or dreckos, so I can't use a steam turbine or crude oil-based coolant.  However, there is a lot of wolframite.

I don't like the rock crusher or smooth hatches due to the loss of mass, so I wanted a metal refinery, but I didn't want to heat up the base.

To that end, I decided to use the magma from the core to "cool" magma coolant from the metal refinery.  The magma starts at about 1450 C and can be heated to about 2300 C before it boils, so there is a massive amount of energy that can be added to the core.

I built this in survival.

image.thumb.png.956b5dec99ac8de2b717a82ea755160e.png

This system works very well.  I managed to refine all the iron I had in to steel as tons of cobalt and copper and the magma has barely increased in temperature.  The major upsides are that the heat from the refinery is not lost and can be used later with steam turbines or what ever else you want.  One downside is that this can't be done forever, but in all likelyhood, it can be done long enough to get to space and bring back plastic.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.29732c543790b3ea280e141b67e37889.png

I use 12 tungsten pipes in the magma, but this is overkill.  I use bridges because they cut the magma travel time by 2/3rds. 

This build uses tungsten, ceramic, and obsidian pipes.  Since I am on an upside-down asteroid, I was able to drop the "core" to the bottom of the base in a controlled manner, but there is no reason why the radiant tungsten pipes could not be added to the top of a magma pool at the bottom of the base.

The left liquid reservoir holds output magma from the metal refinery to be cooled.  The right reservoir hold magma that has been run through the magma and is cool enough to be used (less than 2100 C).  The magma is constantly cycling through the right reservoir over the metal refinery output to prevent cold damage.

I used a wolframite pump submerged in magma to pump the magma.  It managed to pump enough magma to fill a liquid reservoir before it broke.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c861497aae5735362a54b0ffa851735d.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.afc2fc9403ac57d7b0fc05d8a3491944.png

The thermo sensor is set up to shut down the metal refinery when the magma gets too hot, set to 2200 C.  The liquid shutoff is set to prevent magma that is too hot from going to the metal refinery.

Archived