Why is so difficult to make a server devs?

Hello! I support your games and, in particular, Don't Starve from the beggining.

I don't understand why is so difficult to make a dedicated server that actually works. I was putting +2 hours to make a dedicated with the Steam option (that makes you download a fresh game again as I understand), I only wanted to put Global Positions mod (I make it to work, don't remember how now) and now the caves are "disconected" to the world...

I just saying... I'm not an expert and no need to be. Why devs? Why is so frustrating to make a dedicated server. The steam option doesn't get you ready and is a pain... Like summer.:juggling:

Please, reconsider to put some effort and change this system (I'm aware that people use two different systems to launch a dedicated. Crazyness I say)

It would be great to download the dedicated server from Steam (tools) and have a launcher with world options and mods, etc.

It's really not hard to set up (and mod) a dedicated server. Yes, it's very simplistic without any User interface or anything else that holds your hand, but there are good guides out there to get you going.

I for example am hosting my server without any GUI, so I couldn't use a dedicated server with a launcher or something. So better have a server that is a little more advanced, than having a dedicated server that only works on client machines/servers with graphical interface.

You really don't need to be a dev to set up and run a dedicated server, but you should have some basic knowledge of how to host stuff like this... Otherwise you'd probably run into security and/or performance issues anyways that you didn't know how to manage anyways.
Ofc you can always just but a managed server from a company that takes care of that stuff for you.

Alternatively you can use the client hosted server option, which is very easy to use with a few clicks, and since it doesn't run unattended, there's much less security concerns, etc.

My recommendation is using steamcmd and setting it up according to the official guide on the Forums:
(Linux Version): https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/64441-dedicated-server-quick-setup-guide-linux/
And for mods you can either get one of the plentiful guides on steam or my guide here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/96433-dedicated-server-mod-setup-guide/

It's a bit older, but things haven't changed so far, so everything still applies.

It all comes down to entering some commands in the Cli and then copying some IDs into some files and you are good to go.

Archived