Cartographic module is a joke

Yes, you can go uncharted places without revealing it, but isn't the telescope in your ship just kinda.... does that? actually even better in every way?

Like, why do you even go to uncharted space? There is nothing to be gathered. 20211128114505_1.thumb.jpg.200c501d70cdb0c164af5b683442f2a6.jpg

But with some not so difficult telescope setup, you can reveal all the spaces you need. And to be honest, the space exploitation cost a lot of resources and time, which you want to have some plans before launching the rocket into the space. This space farer module has all you need. Greater mass hall, a bedroom, a telescope, and a bathroom. This can withstand as long as you do not run out of oxalite and food. For carbon dioxide, you can just deconstruct that door and replace it with skimmer. And then do vice versa for +6 morale boost room bonus. And it can hold two, one is with a starry eye, for hundreds of databanks per trip.

So, telescope is a low tier(3) unlock, no need for radvolts and databanks, reveals 3 hexes far, does not give additional burden to the spacecraft, does not need all the plastics and refined metal, does not require tier 6 unlock which comes after radvolts and data orbital data collection, does not require some specialized rocket for only Cartographic, (unless you have tier 7 or higher booster in which, end game...), and does not have 5 height which is equivalent to a large cargo.

Adding an additional fuel storage into small pet rocket is enough for such specialized set up and does the job even better. And you gonna have to be in space for databank, anyway. Why do you even bother researching for it? Its only useful for automation tech comes along with.

There is no merit of cartographic module, and I think this thing needs some serious buff. Lower the tier of required research or lower the height of it or give extra space of space farer module. Lowering tier makes it possible be usable at much earlier stage of the game, merge it with the telescope unlock for it. By doing so, you may actually use it. Because now, you definatively have a dupe with astronomy when you unlocking it.

Or lowering the height to 2 or 1. Just say it unfolds in the space. It makes it usable and fit as a higher tier equipment. I would actually used it if this was the height of the module even if it only reveals the hex where the rocket is. Grab some artifact if unlucky, find astroid if lucky.

Or remake it as "unmanned satellite module" that can be launched when the spacecraft is in space which can go for 5 extra hexes, which reveals near hexes and gives extra databanks, 10per hex. That way, you could unlock it with just analyzing geyser and ground POI, and actually have reason for rushing this tech for more databank with futher revealed space map and freed up room in rocket for later colonization.

Its sooo.... useless... now.... like gassy moo.... ......

20211128043439_1.jpg

When I first read the description of cartographic module, I was excited. I thought I would save place in rocket and explore space without need of telescope. But when I did build it and experienced how it actually works, revealing only the tile where rocket is, -  it is highly disappointing, and really almost useless. It should reveal at least adjacent tiles to make it worth using. Even this small buff would make a cartographic module much better and then it actually becomes useful. And this would justify placing it on higher tier research, and expensive materials to build it, like alternative to telescope just saving dupes work and space in rocket interior.

9 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

It should reveal at least adjacent tiles to make it worth using.

It does will do that or.. something like that.

Change on current testing branch (487891): "Any hidden map entities adjacent to a Cartographic Module will be revealed as it travels."

Archived