Solved: Looking for Animation starting points.

Heyo, back again and not as confused as before! I've learned quite a bit with this mod thanks to some champs on here, and I'm on the last hurdle now.

All that's left is to make custom attack animations for the character when they are using the weapon. Sounds simple enough, I feel like I know how to make the animations in Spriter 'Go' at least.

So the questions I have are as follows:

1: Do I actually need to bring the weapon sprite into Spriter to animate the action?

2: Where do I begin with it? Since I'm doing the up, down and sideways attacks can it be done in the characters regular Spriter file that shows all three facing poses?

I have done some searching for guides on here, and elsewhere, but haven't really found the answer to these questions. So anything that can help sort these out would be grand!

:wilson_love:

1) swap_object symbol will be overridden by your currently equipped hand item usually.

You don't have to change the textures for the animation template but it can be helpful as a reference for making your animation. Just make sure the names of the symbol folders are retained for compatibility with your character builds and other equippables.

2) the animation template linked here is quite helpful for getting started on how to make custom animations. It can be kind of visual overload but if you don't want disappearing symbols to happen you should keep all your symbols in each keyframe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn, visual overload is about right.

I assume disappearing symbols is the result of an animation not having those symbols present during it's play time. So do I actually have to animate all of those symbols at the same time? It's so clustered in the template It's a struggle to tell what I'm doing.

Aside from that, the process of animating seems simple. I'm not sure how it'll translate to the proportions of my character from the template but that can be worked out I hope.

4 hours ago, TheAlphaDehur said:

Damn, visual overload is about right.

I assume disappearing symbols is the result of an animation not having those symbols present during it's play time. So do I actually have to animate all of those symbols at the same time? It's so clustered in the template It's a struggle to tell what I'm doing.

Aside from that, the process of animating seems simple. I'm not sure how it'll translate to the proportions of my character from the template but that can be worked out I hope.

Unfortunately you do need to animate all those symbols, otherwise if that symbol is flagged as not existing in a keyframe. Then it'll simply disappear during the animation until it exists again. It is also important that the symbol names be retained for stuff like arm_carry, arm_normal as that is what allows your equip symbols to work.

Now if you are going to make this animation exclusively for your character, you can delete some symbols your character will never use such as pigtails, hair, hair_front, swap_face, beard etc. But if you allow klei skins there is not much else you can delete.

Klei does this all the time, and is very frustrating to try and recycle vanilla animations sometimes because they may omit some player symbols.

• Like 2