A petro boiler to flaker conversion.

Hi!

It's friday and some fun is to be had. For those of us at home here's the final step of a somewhat long journey.

Story time:

For me it started with "taming" a leaky oil fissure with non-space materials and I assume we had fun with that arrangement... At first I had been cooling the crude oil with a generous pool of salt water which eventually boiled for a bit... But then I thought "why not do as everyone else and cool the crude oil with a ST?"

And so I did, I ditched evaporating salt water with it and decided to cool it before sending it to an oil refinery. But then, the "math nation" attacked:

A thread that dealt with flaking crude into petro instead of boiling it captured my attention, and I did some inquiring in it too. But a leaky oil fissure just doesn't have that much throughput when you think of it. (Or does it?)

So eventually I ended up with just a boiler and was content with it. Until I recently started "theorycrafting" sour gas boilers and recalled a minor hitch in my previous plan of using the LOF for flaking.

So TL;DR;: This is what it took to convert a regular boiler supplied by a leaky oil fissure to a "brand new" flaker and honey badger don't care about some lost 10g/s.

Fair warning: I'm used to spamming switches for enabling stuff. And to me green is "go", red is "stop" so many not gates are used to simplify automation too.

A look at the boiler in its previous glory, I'm currently siphoning off heat from the natural abyssalite and that's the warty heat exchange seen at the left of the tower, a ready to go salt boosted heater with magma in a reservoir is at the bottom. The shipping bridge was in charge of magically boiling the petro here.

I don't discard liquid locks just in case I get the remodeling bug as usual.

35511959_Formerboiler.thumb.png.c3d549db63e12dba2886ea3e2a41b9e3.png

So step 1, we need to set up an actual precise supplier so that we don't get crude in the cooling pool.

Before:

1914117028_Formerpumparrangement.png.132b0bb7fd748eaf860054a7c416e057.png

After (Not pictured: I also added a switch to disable this arrangement):

606037566_Newdistributionautomation.thumb.png.c0798e64a956b9d190ce4b4c5573c99e.png

380900628_Newdistributionarrangmentmineral.thumb.png.8ee22e7bafd0ce25a04f51fc76aca28f.png1728018371_Newdistributionarrangmentbuilt.thumb.png.856eaf5a489ed5ac3c7f76da9f95b698.png

So now it's a race against, uhh... The leaky oil fissure is going to fill up the reservoir some day so let's go ahead and do the rest of the changes....

So the boiler design has to go. And it was as simple as swapping tile types and adding a dripper for the petro (I did have to cancel the bottle emptier for a bit in order to swap all the bunker tiles):

1047501396_Boilerconvertdrip.png.3ff4e9b36e3169bf9b8491b0496d145f.png

It would look like this after a minor test:

616514274_Newarrangement.png.92f96f00a13cd18d1f63c223bd0a2ee3.png

And finally switching most of the radiant piping to ceramic piping (not insulated) for preheating (pardon the screenshot order):

160773027_Pipeswitchpreheat.thumb.png.99211f6d825cee2ce9e29bf30fee0373.png

This is the "end of the journey" so far. I'm currently observing the build when it runs and will decide on changing materials for piping. The reservoir underneath the leaky oil fissure is set to 1%-8% so the working intervals aren't that far apart. This also allows the steam turbine to operate on a relatively lower throughput. I'd have to see how much I can fill the reservoir to actually get it to where the steam turbine's cooling is just enough to support it.

Archived