Gas cannisters can be stored.

The main reason is that it would make storing gas trivial. You got this giant gas tank that only holds like 150 kg of gas. Meanwhile a 2 tile storage compactor can store 20t of solid debris. Imagine putting gas canisters inside. Storing gasses is harder by design but you can exploit the cannister system to get huge amounts of gas in a single tile at the cost of ti being hard to transport around. You can also use one of the infinite gas storage exploits designs to avoid filling the map with gas reservoirs.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:57 AM, TippyTheTortue said:

I'm not sure why they can't be. I love the game so far but am pretty confused as to why the gas cannisters cannot be stored.

You kind of can. You can use the Canister Filler then Empty it regularly, dropping the 25 kg bottles of gas on the ground. You can stack unlimited bottles of gas per tile, though it's tedious of course.

There are also automated schemes using a Canister Filler and a Bottle Emptier combined with pathing disruption (i.e. duplicant motion sensor slamming a door shut in front of the dupe) causing them to drop the gas bottle somewhere they can't pick it up again. I think these schemes are more commonly used for liquid bottles, but it does work for gas too.

It is fair not allowing to store gas canisters as solids. But to make it really fair enough, it should be possible to use gas canisters as a supply for building that uses gasses. Maybe not any building, but atmo and lead suits docks should be allowed to store gas canisters in them. Here is why: to make gas in canister you must first pump it in pipes using power, there is no way of getting gas canisters without spending energy, so it would be just logical not making players spend energy and time once again, when having gas canisters dropped off, from worn suits. Why it should be dropping those canisters in the first place, I don't understand... Oxygen tanks should be always with suits doesn't matter worn or new, or other way around is allowing to provide oxygen in canisters for suit dock, because it was already there. We pumped it there, and there is constantly appearing gas canisters which you didn't want to make. And only choice that you have is emptying the canister, doesn't matter just opening it or using canister emptier, to release that oxygen in the environment to be able pump it once again to make it usable once more. This definitely should be overviewed to make some changes one or other way.

17 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

, it should be possible to use gas canisters as a supply for building that uses gasses.

I wish more buildings used bottled gas. Currently there`s only one beside the gas canister emptier - the soda machine. I really hoped oxygen mask docks would use bottled gasses. That would make them much easier and cheaper to set up while requiring more maintainance wich would be in line with it being an earlier tech.

Archived