It would serve as a late-early rocket engine that brings the distance of co2 and the height of sugar engines. It would be fueled by the gas itself along with an oxidiser. I figured it'd be a cool idea and I also wanted to give a potential new engine as I don't believe there are enough options in the dlc as of now.

There are a total of 7 engines (up from 3 edit: 3.5 in the base game with the boosters):

- CO2

- Sucrose

- Steam

- Small petroleum

- Large petroleum

- Radbolt

- Hydrogen

All of them have their pros and cons and cover pretty much every phase of the game, have different heights, and also very different ranges.

2 hours ago, ChilliDogMan88 said:

late-early rocket engine that brings the distance of co2 and the height of sugar engines.

So after CO2/sucrose engine but before petroleum/radbolt - a bit like the steam engine (which is already very underused from what I have seen)?

The sucrose engine currently has the same distance as the CO2 engine and it has the height of the sucrose engine... and also needs oxydizer, If I understand your suggestion correctly, it would have similar properties as the sucrose engine, but use natural gas instead? I am not sure if it is straightforward to get natural gas late-early game, since it mainly comes from geysers (when available) at 150 degC, otherwise from fertilizer production or dare I say flatulent dupes and gassy moos.

2 hours ago, ChilliDogMan88 said:

I figured it'd be a cool idea and I also wanted to give a potential new engine as I don't believe there are enough options in the dlc as of now.

I agree it would be a "cool idea" to have a natural gas engine in itself, but I am not convinced that we really need more engines right now. It would really need to be original and offer something different than what we already have. Some kind of niche. I am just not convinced that the features suggested would bring that.

I thought that sucrose engines had a decreased travel distance when compared to co2, my bad. And while sure, we don't really need more engines. I like the idea of having a couple more available, since you can access steel before needing to leave the starting asteroid you could pump the natural gas even at 150 degrees. Perhaps it can be oxidised by oxygen gas and can carry a lot but has the range of the earlier engines. (I'm just trying to figure out where it could possibly fit in the dlc) either way it's just an idea. And the feedback is much appreciated.

Archived