How to mod textures of preexisting characters

I'm working on a retexturing of WX-78, and I have been completely unable to change his graphics, both through modding and physically going in the files and changing wx's .tex file, and both have wielded no results. Is there a separate way player characters are loaded into the game that I am missing that is keeping me from making any changes? For context, this is for his default look, and not for any of his cosmetics. If this has been answered before, let me know! Thank you.

3 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Here is a video of James Bucket's guide to get animation and stuff. To open TEX files you need TEXTTOOLS and for that guide you need KRANE 4.4.4 and 4.0.0  

Reveal hidden contents

The problem that I'm having is that I've done this already, the mod itself is finished, I just can't seem to get the game itself to override the original look of the character either through modding or editing the files, which is why I asked if maybe the game handled the graphics for player characters differently than npc's, maybe due to the cosmetic system or something. Either way, thank you for the reply.

AddPrefabPostInit("wx78",function(inst)
	inst:DoTaskInTime(.1,function(inst)
		inst.AnimState:SetBuild("willow")
    		inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson")
    	end)
end)

If you add this function to your modmain, wx78 will look like willow. You can change it to the build you want to use.

The reason you need to delay it by 0.1 seconds is that the build is set by the skinner component when the character is loaded, so everything you add in a normal prefabpostinit will be overwritten. By delaying it, you will overwrite the build determined by the skinner component.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 3:27 AM, Monti18 said:

AddPrefabPostInit("wx78",function(inst)
	inst:DoTaskInTime(.1,function(inst)
		inst.AnimState:SetBuild("willow")
    		inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson")
    	end)
end)

If you add this function to your modmain, wx78 will look like willow. You can change it to the build you want to use.

The reason you need to delay it by 0.1 seconds is that the build is set by the skinner component when the character is loaded, so everything you add in a normal prefabpostinit will be overwritten. By delaying it, you will overwrite the build determined by the skinner component.

Yep, this was my problem. I got everything to work now, thank you!