I don't know if anyone else has thought of or suggested this, but I was thinking recently...I try to make my bases relatively compact, in terms of using space effectively. It makes creating separate electric grids a bit tricky sometimes. But what if we could use a wire ribbon, similar to the automation wire ribbon but just for power grids?

You could just select which wire in the ribbon outside wires connect to, rather than using a reader/writer, and it'd make having several small networks in a tightly packed area a lot easier.

1 hour ago, DJ MagicHat said:

You could just select which wire in the ribbon outside wires connect to, rather than using a reader/writer, and it'd make having several small networks in a tightly packed area a lot easier.

But how would you do that? The readers and writers for ribbons are just to make sure you are connecting to the proper wire as there is no way to select how a single wire will connect to the ribbon.

Anyway power wires use heavy watt instead of ribbons. Since you don`t have to connect to a speciic logic signal but just to power so using transformers is like using ribbon readers. It takes more room but i guess the devs intended it to be like that.

If the readers and writers are making sure you connect to the right wire, then you're making sure you connect power to the right grid. I see the point of transformers and heavi watt, but that seems separate from what this would achieve, in my mind.

Archived