No save showing and keeps running on steam for hours after closed

I recently started playing again and after a few hours I closed the game. I came back the next day and it said cant open it is still running. I checked task manager nothing check steam library ....Yep still running..hitting stop for 10-15 minutes does nothing in steam... The only way to end it is close and restart steam. when I reloaded it and started the game up ...NO saved game?  So I use 2 mods flip everything and destroy poi's I unsuscribed from them restarted played a few hours save overwrite and closed the game..still running on steam exit steam ..reload the game and no saves. verified game files  it showed no problems deleted the game reinstalled the game still same things happening deleted it again and installed on another driver still same things happening.....un checked cloud saving in steam and in ONI options...still same problems. would like to play again but I can't if it isn't going to save anything..

On 5/1/2021 at 12:05 PM, sheaker said:

Maybe some type of protection software prevents game from creating new folders/files?

yep that's what was preventing saves... some windows controlled folder access that I never asked for was installed some time ago and as I look through the darn thing it was even not allowing windows updates ...isn't that a great program they created.

How do the developers of a program not ensure a bypass for it to not block their own stuff?? Bunch of geniuses at microsoft. 

Anyway I can save but I still have to restart steam in order to have steam actually close the program from running..

I tried all the fixes I could find and repeated all the previous steps still won't close the program.

Okay I figured it out....the problem was some of the files would not uninstall from previous version..something to do with UnityCrashHandler64.exe was being used by ?something else? Was thinking Steam so closed Steam NOPE... had to run resmon.exe enter the handle ONI and then end the UCH64 process then  I was able to delete it and the old ONI file. restart computer and reinstall ONI- play- save- exit -fingers crossed -check steam library...Hooray!! It Ended. Not sure what or why UCH64 was still being used or by what?

Archived