Simple Health Bar mod breaking server

I haven't touched my main world in over two months, but when I tried to log back in, the server crashes as soon as I try to start it up with this error. Poking around a bit, it seems that this error occurs only when I use the server mod "Simple Health Bar" or "API Gem Core". Enabling either of these mods causes this error message. I have many other server mods active on this server running just fine, as well as client mods. Creating new servers with these mods active also results in the same crash, which is peculiar because yesterday I was able to create a server with these mods active no problem. I have tried to do clean reinstalls of DST (deleting both the game files in /steamapps and /DoNotStarveTogether), and this seems to have not fixed anything, other than being able to create a working world with those mods that one single time.

image.thumb.png.934669820ba98e07746305bf32d340bd.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

You should check the server log for the crashing world for more details about the crash. The picture you provided usually means there was an error during startup on the server side, and doesn't really provide any useful information.

I assume this is the server log file you're talking about. I couldn't find any snippets of the error in the log, and I really don't know how to read through it.

server_log.txt

Log says that the server didn't have any issues, but it received a shutdown signal. 
Did you relaunch the server again successfully, then leave it?

Try letting the server crash, then without relaunching the servers at all, and then submit your Master/server_log.txt and Caves/server_log.txt from the cluster.

• Like 1

This would be the same steps I took on the first log file I sent? I haven't touched the world time settings at all. In fact I'm pretty sure all of my world settings are on default. I can reproduce the same error on a fresh server with default world settings too. This is unrelated, but during one of the crashes, the world actually got reset, so I assume these files basically correspond to a fresh world too, unless it wasn't completely reset. (I backed up the server files) Thanks for following up so many times.

server_log.txt server_log.txt

Okay, that log had some helpful information.

Can you: 

1. Disable all mods (client and server) except Simple Health Bar

2. Create a world without caves and see if you crash. If it works fine, then do step 3.

3. For that same world, go to the caves tab and Add Caves to it. Launch it again and see if you crash.

Edited by penguin0616
  • Like 1

Whelp, step 2 worked and I was able to get into the world without crashing. I ran around a bit to make sure the mod was working, and then I turned off the server. (!!!) Adding the caves and attempting to start the server again (without regenerating the world) creates the same crash message as before. I've attached the client and server logs again.

client_log.txt server_log.txt server_log.txt

• Like 1

Okay, so here's the gist of what's going on:

The game adds special properties to entities in the game to send data from the server to the client.
However, there's an important part of adding those properties: Both the client and the server have to add them. Otherwise, the entity is sort of "imbalanced" and the game can't figure out a bunch of stuff about the entity.

That's what's happening here. One side is adding the property, the other isn't. In this case, one of the "imbalanced entities" is the part of the world responsible for telling you how many day, dusk, and night segments there are for each game day. Since the game can't figure out anything about the entity, it can't figure out your day structure so you crash.

You didn't crash in step two because you're both the client and the server in that step, so it's pretty much impossible for your entities to unbalance. If someone had joined you, they probably would have gotten the same crash you've been getting.

Here's what I recommend you do:
1. Upload all three logs to some text/file sharing website.
2. Leave a comment on the mod page stating that you crash in worlds that have caves with this mod enabled. (Extremely Important: Make sure to state that no client mods or server mods were enabled except for Simple Health Bar.) 
3. Work from there and see what the mod author does. 

Edit: You said this was happening with GemCore too. Can you repeat the previous steps from the last post, except with GemCore and see what happens?

Edited by penguin0616
  • Like 2

Wow, thank you for the in-depth write-up. I guess this means that the problem is most likely with the mod itself, and not with my system or my world saves? Someone else also had the same crash message posted on the SHB workshop page, though the mod author asserted that the mod works when activated on its own.

Gem Core also works without caves, and crashes the same way after adding caves.

Just another thought: should I have paid attention to mod options (ie. options/configurations offered by the mod itself) during these steps? I left Gem Core with default settings.

What you said makes a lot of sense, because I actually made a world with these mods active, but it was a "dummy" world created using the Super AFK mod, and it didn't crash because the mod removed caves during world generation.

client_log.txt server_log_master.txt server_log_caves.txt

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xXWagonWheelsXx said:

Someone else also had the same crash message posted on the SHB workshop page, though the mod author asserted that the mod works when activated on its own

Indeed, which is why it is important to specify that you were only using their mod. You can link them this forum thread too if you want to show the steps you've taken, since I know DYC (the author) has a forum account.

Just another thought: should I have paid attention to mod options (ie. options/configurations offered by the mod itself) during these steps? I left Gem Core with default settings.

Default settings are the best, I think.

Gem Core also works without caves, and crashes the same way after adding caves.

I'd go ahead and leave a similar comment on Gem Core's page too.

I guess this means that the problem is most likely with the mod itself, and not with my system or my world saves?

Best to hope it's not to do with your system. System specific issues are hard to fix and thus don't get fixed as easily or often (if at all). I've seen Mac users encounter the same issue as you too though recently.

Edit: Before you report the crash, can you verify your game file integrity and see if your issues still persist?

Edited by penguin0616
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, xXWagonWheelsXx said:

Yep, verifying the game file integrity returned no weird messages, and both the Gem Core-only server from my last post as well as the SHB-only server crashed the same way.

You can go ahead and leave the mod authors the comments then.

2 minutes ago, xXWagonWheelsXx said:

I'm especially surprised that this crash hasn't been brought to Zarklord's attention.

I mean, you can ping him if you want. 

• Like 1

For Gem Core, Zarklord has informed me that this issue is fixed in the beta branch, and will be fixed on the official branch of the game once the update becomes official, and I can confirm both mods work as intended in the beta. (launching my old world in the beta creates no issues) So I guess I'll be waiting patiently until the update is official to play again..... Or I'll just leave my main world alone for the meantime.

19 minutes ago, xXWagonWheelsXx said:

For Gem Core, Zarklord has informed me that this issue is fixed in the beta branch, and will be fixed on the official branch of the game once the update becomes official, and I can confirm both mods work as intended in the beta. (launching my old world in the beta creates no issues) So I guess I'll be waiting patiently until the update is official to play again..... Or I'll just leave my main world alone for the meantime.

Huh, wasn't expecting it to be a bug with the game itself. Good to know.

• Like 1