Melt Refined Carbon and Diamonds into molten Carbon?

Ok. Obviously, working with molten carbon is just awesome.  Good job.

However, I'm still not clear on the reason. To melt/flake abyssalite you "only" need 3421C.  You can reach that directly with molten steel in a metal refinery.  It doesn't vaporize until 3826C.

P.S.  I don't see any reason for this to be in the Spaced Out sub-forum. There's nothing here specific to the DLC.

Thank you, you're absolutely 100% right, Abyssalite flaking is doable with molten Steel, and even better with Niobium.

And I accidently clicked the one dropdown below and ended-up posting this in Spaced Out sub, my bad.

The thing is both molten metals have fairly low SHC. 0.386 for Steel and 0.265 for Niobium.

With molten Carbon, we get SHC of 0.710 and it's abundant.

Stores a lot more heat per Kilo and can easily take any abuse from smelting Steel in Metal Refinery. Feeding Carbon at 3600 to 4400 degrees C.

I tried a few different ways, ended-up settling on this for now. 250 cycles later got 150 Tons of Tungsten made, and 150 Tons of Steel on the side.

How is it better than standard issue abyssalite melter with liquid niobium and chlorine tube? It makes 500kg tungsten per cycle, and probably can do 600kg. Why use liquid carbon at all? Why 2 abyssalite tiles? 1 is enough. Lead gas I get it, you need high tc gas in your scheme. Liquid carbon instead of niobium because of higher SHC? I'm not convinced. Still, very impressive job!

abyssalite_melter.png

29 minutes ago, furytale said:

How is it better than standard issue abyssalite melter with liquid niobium and chlorine tube? It makes 500kg tungsten per cycle, and probably can do 600kg. Why use liquid carbon at all? Why 2 abyssalite tiles? 1 is enough. Lead gas I get it, you need high tc gas in your scheme. Liquid carbon instead of niobium because of higher SHC? I'm not convinced. Still, very impressive job!

abyssalite_melter.png

If you add a diamond temp shift plate to transfer heat from the diamond tile to the chlorine you can make it run as fast as you can add heat to the niobium.  In sandbox I had one running at 20kg / 2s (6000kg/cycle). But that only works if you keep the temperatures below 3900C (where diamond melts).

15 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

If you add a diamond temp shift plate to transfer heat from the diamond tile to the chlorine you can make it run as fast as you can add heat to the niobium.

Look, this screenshot is from old survival game. I remember I was experimenting with temp shift plate, but for some reason I had to remove it. Maybe it was heating the bottom of chlorine tube too fast, I don't remember now.

You are right, 1 Abyssalite tile is enough. With an extra tile, however, Abyssalite debris gets added to the next tile down (diagonally from the dispenser) until it gets too massive. Then debris starts to get added to the upper tile on the side of the dispenser.

It just seemed a safer option to go with 2 tiles after some incidents where the hot tile ran down to 5KG, heated-up to 3000 C and started to heat adjacent Visco-Gel that was supposed to cool the dispenser.

But yea, if the hot tile always gets topped-up and stays cool, 1 tile is good.

Archived