converting linux (docker) server to windows dedicated and installing mods

Potentially Unnecessary background info:

I've been running a linux server for some time now.  It's reached about 850 days.  Regardless of changing tick_rate or removing mods it just lags and has become unplayable since the March updates :cry:.  My younger servers (200 days) are fine.

It's been running in docker, which could be part of the performance limitations, though it never maxes out even 1 of the i9 cores.  Nor hits its 6GB memory limitation

I've decided to try it out on Windows, the machine is a little more powerful (4.0Ghz) and I can run it native there - no docker.  Maybe that'll work.  However, I've run into some issues mapping the files back.

Any whosits~~ on Vindows....

To start I copied all of my former data directory into C:\dst_server\

That leaves me with the following setup:

C:\dst_server\dst\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master
C:\dst_server\dst\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves
C:\dst_server\dst\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\mods
C:\dst_server\dst\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

And many other files I shan't mention.

I wrote my start_dst_server.bat to use the custom directory: 

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -only_update_server_mods
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root  C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory  C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root  C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory  C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -shard Caves

This includes the recent -ugc_directory change that got my docker stuff back up

Other than the batch file and C:\dst_server path this is basically the same setup I had on linux.  But it doesn't install the mods. 

The mod update portion logs out:

[00:00:01]: cGame::InitializeOnMainThread
[00:00:01]: Renderer initialize: Okay
[00:00:01]: AnimManager initialize: Okay
[00:00:01]: Buffers initialize: Okay
[00:00:01]: cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()
[00:00:01]: GameSpecific initialize: Okay
[00:00:01]: cGame::StartPlaying
[00:00:01]: LOADING LUA
[00:00:01]: DoLuaFile scripts/main.lua
[00:00:01]: DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.lua
[00:00:01]:   taskgrouplist:    default Together
[00:00:01]:   taskgrouplist:    classic Classic
[00:00:01]:   taskgrouplist:    cave_default    Underground
[00:00:01]:   taskgrouplist:    lavaarena_taskset       The Forge
[00:00:01]:   taskgrouplist:    quagmire_taskset        The Gorge
[00:00:01]: running main.lua

[00:00:01]: loaded modindex
[00:00:01]: ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.

[00:00:01]: FinishDownloadingServerMods Complete!
src\tier1\fileio.cpp (4914) : Assertion Failed: s_bExit
src\tier1\fileio.cpp (4914) : Assertion Failed: s_bExit
src\tier1\fileio.cpp (4916) : Assertion Failed: m_vecRegisteredWriters.Count() == 0
src\tier1\fileio.cpp (4916) : Assertion Failed: m_vecRegisteredWriters.Count() == 0
src\tier0\threadtools.cpp (3659) : Assertion Failed: Illegal termination of worker thread 'CFileWriterThread'
src\tier0\threadtools.cpp (3659) : Assertion Failed: Illegal termination of worker thread 'CFileWriterThread'
src\tier0\threadtools.cpp (3659) : Assertion Failed: Illegal termination of worker thread 'Thread(0x54D056E8/0x00000674/0x'
src\tier0\threadtools.cpp (3659) : Assertion Failed: Illegal termination of worker thread 'Thread(0x54D056E8/0x00000674/0x'
src\tier1\fileio.cpp (4976) : Assertion Failed: CFileWriterThread already exited
src\tier1\fileio.cpp (4976) : Assertion Failed: CFileWriterThread already exited

So that's a fail...but why?   The server's themselves do load - AND they find the right data!  I can log in and I'm on the right map, where I last saved. 

Just the mods don't load...

How can I get the mods working?

Thanks in advance!

On 3/23/2021 at 3:58 PM, I Heart Popcorn said:

Mod files don’t go into the same folder as the server files. They go in

• Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods

I'm overriding the defaults with `-persistent_storage_root`  and `-ugc_directory` options when running the server.  I don't think this directory should apply - even if it did I'm not concerned with where the actual mod files end up, so long as they download.

On 3/23/2021 at 3:58 PM, I Heart Popcorn said:

Further the modsetup file doesn’t go in the server files either.

Is this a difference between windows and Linux servers?  This did work in Linux.

I suspect the real issue is that Windows server is looking for dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua in a different location.  

Thanks for trying to help Popcorn

It didn't appear to have been overridden.  I've got the entire thing checked into git, so I know when a file has changed pretty easily.  From what I understand the mod files themselves may be overridden.

Regardless, the windows PC sufferered a BIOS issue and no longer boots ... so I won't be able to keep pursuing this.

So I figured out the problem here. 

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -only_update_server_mods
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root  C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory  C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root  C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory  C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -shard Caves

Problem1: Regardless of `persistent_storage_root` or `ugc_directory` options, mods to DOWNLOAD are read from another directory.  I tried copying the file to setup the mods there and it downloaded them (to the right directories based on options!)

Problem 2: Steamcmd wipes that file out on every run - replacing it with a default.  I resolved this by adding a copy command to the batch file to copy the file back over.

REM The steam update wipes out the mod config file, forcing everything to re-download
copy "C:\dst_server\dst\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua" "C:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\"

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -only_update_server_mods -shard Master

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root  C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory  C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -shard Master

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -persistent_storage_root  C:\dst_server\dst -ugc_directory  C:\dst_server\dst\ugc -shard Caves

Archived