Thermodynamic properties of elements and resource transition hinting.

These relations between specific heat and thermal conductivity are rather important properties.

It seems like there could be a more illustrative system in the reference codex, or in the properties tab that demonstrates the chain of these property changes due to state changes.

This would indicate the values that define the utility in element state changes by giving the full solid, liquid, gas phase changes by showing the properties in a side by side manner. This is somewhat difficult to discern when limited to one info window and the codex.

And in instances where state changes of a resource would produce more than one other element, then this could easily be incorporated as an extension of the state change illustration / demonstrating the make-up of some of our resources

Ie, melting point of mud would indicate the production of steam and dirt.

These types of side effects of state changes are know through experimenting, and passively referenced by linking present in the codex, however they aren't presented completely. Most can be inferred through machine recipes, but the 'playbook' or codex, isn't forthright about some of these things.

I consider it a part of the game's sciences lore - what makes everything tick the way that it does.

Algae will melt into dirt... saltwater will boil into steam and leave salt.

Phosphorite melts into phosphorous...which has completely different elemental properties when it solidifies. It's contaminated with something? Perhaps sand or some other element such as lime ( a tall ask ), but it's lost some structure to it that no longer makes it phosphorite.

These kinds of things make the codex all the more valuable in planning. Being able to see these transitions in a comparative single page format would be tremendously helpful.

My biggest middle game hump is trying by to figure out what to do with all the resources - what weird thing I can make work for me, niche uses and so on.

Having a better element or resource comparator would aid in this ( multiple tabs in the codex? )

Most of us will build a periodic table of tiles to look at these types of things, but it's not always practical and requires navigating to it and away from work in progress. And not all things are lying around to begin with.

Archived