Some QoL ideas that could be nice

1. Giant plants could be hammer-able straight from the vine instead of having to be picked first

Explanation: A lot of the time, especially in the late game with much larger harvests it can be quite annoying to harvest 10+ giant crops just to go back and hammer them. Don't get me wrong, you should still be able to pick them normally and carry/wax them. It just seems as though the harvesting and hammering could be made into 1 action with little change to how they work

2. Small visual effects could appear around the player's screen regarding important events like a giant spawning or a hound wave containing fire/ice hounds. Deerclops could have a chilling air going around the screen of the player while antlion's should have sand rushing around the edges of your screen to signal a quake. For bearger there could maybe be a wind around the edges of the screen carrying leaves and bearger's fur tufts. (These could come before they spawn but alongside the sound effect) For hounds, I'm not quite sure but it would need to be distinct enough  from other effects such as freezing/overheating. This could also exist for krampus and his arrival.

Explanation: The problem with the audio cues and voice lines is that they could be drowned out by things like ambient sounds like those of instanity,while the lines the characters say might not be noticed or quickly skipped by an attack quote, a chat message or an inspection line or they could come too late, as with the seasonal giants. This could also apply to people that might be hard of hearing or deaf. The problem with relying upon the audio cues is that most of the time, the game doesn't use them except those instances so it feels quite inconsistent to still rely on them. Feel free to share any ideas below

8 hours ago, The Sneaky Man said:

1. Giant plants could be hammer-able straight from the vine instead of having to be picked first

Explanation: A lot of the time, especially in the late game with much larger harvests it can be quite annoying to harvest 10+ giant crops just to go back and hammer them. Don't get me wrong, you should still be able to pick them normally and carry/wax them. It just seems as though the harvesting and hammering could be made into 1 action with little change to how they work

That sounds good to me. Hammer the plant as soon as its ready! 

8 hours ago, The Sneaky Man said:

2. Small visual effects could appear around the player's screen regarding important events like a giant spawning or a hound wave containing fire/ice hounds. Deerclops could have a chilling air going around the screen of the player while antlion's should have sand rushing around the edges of your screen to signal a quake. For bearger there could maybe be a wind around the edges of the screen carrying leaves and bearger's fur tufts. (These could come before they spawn but alongside the sound effect) For hounds, I'm not quite sure but it would need to be distinct enough  from other effects such as freezing/overheating. This could also exist for krampus and his arrival.

Explanation: The problem with the audio cues and voice lines is that they could be drowned out by things like ambient sounds like those of instanity,while the lines the characters say might not be noticed or quickly skipped by an attack quote, a chat message or an inspection line or they could come too late, as with the seasonal giants. This could also apply to people that might be hard of hearing or deaf. The problem with relying upon the audio cues is that most of the time, the game doesn't use them except those instances so it feels quite inconsistent to still rely on them. Feel free to share any ideas below

I don't believe the "cues" are meant to prepare you but instill you with fear. I believe this is why the roars tend to become shorter over time. Every year deerclops is 0 threat to me because I know it spawns on day 30; I plan my first Winter around knowing I will have to fight it. After the first year I am on guard at all times unsure of when it will spawn. Sometimes when I'm at my base my mind will play tricks on me making me think the ground "shook". "Oh shi-" did I miss the cue? Will my base be destroyed? Where is it? Can I keep the destruction to a minimum? This fear of total destruction is a mind game. It sets it apart from the other bosses and makes it unique. Every winter i am on high alert and I am relieved after I have killed it.

Archived