Adventure mode mod rocks (New Beefalo mode!)

I have recently been playing the Adventure Mode mod a lot, and I think y'all should too! Now pardon me while i ramble on about it and how much I enjoy it.

adventure mode as a whole scratches the DST itch so well for me because it is essentially just surviving 5 times in a row with a specific goal in mind each time, and then you get a funny little cutscene that doesn't actually make any sense. 

New features in an old environment

Almost every time I play adventure mode nowadays, I tame a beefalo along the way, since the Beefalo Bell allows for the player to take their cow throughout worlds now. Of course the beefalo is useful in the conventional way of simply allowing you to explore the map incredibly fast, proving useful in adventure mode. But there are also strange little interactions that I find in the way of interaction with Bishops. Ridden Beefalo, at basic saddle speed, are capable of kiting bishops with a 2-3 hit pattern, which is something that otherwise would be impossible to do! I just find that very neat, since it's almost like it's encouraging me to tame beefalo as a singleplayer option to what would otherwise be an incredibly multiplayer centric task. Virtually unheard of in vanilla DST, frankly!

dontstarve_steam_WUMHciGtEq.thumb.png.e8701b7af152b67addf703c30a6bd04a.png

Me and Marmle V, after a day of playing! Charlies pretty fun.

A feature specific to the Adventure mode Mod, is that of the about-to-exit chests that spawn once you construct the teleportato completely. These almost always come with a few extra enemies to face, gotta stay on your toes! I think this + the default setting of keeping your entire inventory each worldhop makes for much more fun gameplay than the original. In my singleplayer gameplay, it comes off as a last minute reward for working through the absolute pile of clockworks at the teleportato base, and in multiplayer comes off as a kind of 'balancing' act for players who have kind of been straggling for that chapter in terms of supplies.

Another relatively new feature, Boats, are featured somewhat prominently in the Archipelago chapter. The fun-ness of this can vary wildly, but a lot of the time I really enjoy them. The previously mentioned about-to-exit chests and such make for pretty good ways to allow players to skip the majority of the grind for boat materials that one would typically find in regular DST gameplay. Also, the islands typically form in a specific way that I can't really describe, which once you've done adventure mode at least once, you'll recognize and have a way easier time navigating the ocean with. In my experience, if you get it as anything but the first chapter, it can serve as a pretty neat respite/relaxing gameplay compared to how wild and dangerous the rest of the chapters can get.

Just plain old features

Small shoutout to how the divining rod actually makes different noise depending on how close you are to the subject. Even if you aren't actually going from "blue beep" to "orange beep" to "red beep", the rod still makes different pitches of noise, which makes locating way easier if you know what you're doing. 

In default settings the amount of defense around all of the pieces is ramped up a fair bit since it's multiplayer, but even in default settings at least the teleportato base is rather well guarded. I like this a lot since it can make the player think for a bit about how to approach each piece. If you have a beefalo, you can use it's beefiness and speed to navigate your way through a lot of the warfare, sometimes even without fighting. If you're willow, wurt, or webber, you can end up using your given minions to your advantage, if you're woodie you can moose out which is pretty dang fun, the list goes on. I just really like it!!

conclusion

god i love adventure mode mod

Archived