Wheezewort disambiguation plea.

Hi!

This is my itty bitty contribution to the life of the wheezewort. A "minor" readability fix, if you will.

TL;DR: The confusing feedback from the wort's page kills game immersion a little bit, begging for a fix - a text fix at that. Wheezewort is working fine.

Not TL;DR:

In game, once these "critters" are established either by "nature" or domestication we eventually get the message "Consuming Vacuum: X g/s". (Wild ones would only 'consume' 250g/s)

1689406520_Wheezewortcontextmenu.png.c91b0124d538f5b92b6016755060f087.png

At first this message confused me to no end.  I'd asked in the forum to find out if the wheezewort was working on account of this feedback. No straightforward answer was given on account that it was not so important (the only opinions were that it was working ok), but I beg to differ, it is important.

The in-game db entry for the wheezewort tells us that it absorbs heat by respiring. So we can guess that's how it 'survives'.

1920751151_WheezewortDBentry.png.8f4386842df805662b8da76dacf1caa3.png

So the wheezewort consumes or breathes? What is it?

I have a bone to pick and that is that it is not using vacuum at all (empiric observation...). Here's the "easy" fix: Substitute "consuming" for something like "breathing" / "processing" and substitute "Vacuum" for something like "atmosphere".

Why do I say "easy" with quotes? Well, I had to switch hats and think 'code' for a minute or two, here's my speculation.

If this is a static message, then it shouldn't entail much work; use the easy fix, make it clearer for all and put this pet peeve to rest.

If this is a dynamic message then I'd say "vacuum" is being used as a placeholder element so that no gas is destroyed (if there's a chance for that even happening with a wheezewort). Or, just that the dynamic message was not coded in at all so "vacuum" it is by default.

In the spirit of that, it would've made actual sense if any ambient gas that the wort passes gets "logged" in the helper screen and hovering the mouse by extension. But that's a process/coding overhead that even I think is not needed (I won't say no to luxury, though). Then it's about making the message static enough to adjust to the proposed changes.

Well, that's it. Thanks for getting this far.

Archived