Item usable only by certain character

Do you want others to not be able to pick it up? Or be able to use some special action on it? I can help with both, I just need to know.

As for crafting, you can specify a Tag characters need to have in order to craft in AddRecipe, I believe it is the 9th argument.

25 minutes ago, TheSkylarr said:

Do you want others to not be able to pick it up? Or be able to use some special action on it? I can help with both, I just need to know.

As for crafting, you can specify a Tag characters need to have in order to craft in AddRecipe, I believe it is the 9th argument.

Hmmm... I think other characters could pick it up if that's easier... just not be able to use it - it's weapon and tool. If it's easier it could be completely not pickable.. dunno. Makes no differace to me. Altough I think it would be harder to prevent usage than pick up at all.

As it is for crafting - Yeah - now i remember. Gonna work on that :) Thanks!

23 hours ago, Near4422 said:

Hmmm... I think other characters could pick it up if that's easier... just not be able to use it - it's weapon and tool. If it's easier it could be completely not pickable.. dunno. Makes no differace to me. Altough I think it would be harder to prevent usage than pick up at all.

As it is for crafting - Yeah - now i remember. Gonna work on that :) Thanks!

Oh, sorry I guess I forgot to respond haha, the custom items in my character mod are only able to be picked up by my character, I pasted this inside the OnEquip code for the items I wanted to limit, make sure to paste it ABOVE the already existing code. Also, be sure to customize the TAG part, and of course whatever lines you want.

if not owner:HasTag("TAG") then --Replace TAG with a tag only your character has
		inst:DoTaskInTime(0, function()
			if owner:HasTag("player") then
				owner.components.inventory:DropItem(inst) --Drops the item if they don't have the above TAG

if owner:HasTag("mime")	then
					owner.components.talker:Say("") --Nothing, mimes aren't able to talk

elseif owner.prefab=="wx78" then
					owner.components.talker:Say("ERROR: READ-ONLY ITEM") --Custom WX line, he is a robot.

elseif owner.prefab=="wilbur" then
					owner.components.talker:Say("Ooo")-- Wilbur is monkee

else
					owner.components.talker:Say("I can't pick that up!")-- Generic line
				return
			end	
		end)
		return
	end

Edited by TheSkylarr

Hmm... for some reason this code doesn't allow me even compile the mod. I get error whenever i try to launch a server :c

local function onequip(inst, owner)
	local owner = inst.components.inventoryitem.owner or nil
	if not owner:HasTag("scarecrow") then --Replace TAG with a tag only your character has
				owner.components.inventory:DropItem(inst) --Drops the item if they don't have the above TAG

owner.components.talker:Say("ERROR: READ-ONLY ITEM") --Custom WX line, he is a robot.

else
				return
			end	
		end)
		return
	end
    owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_scare_scythe", "scare_scythe")
    owner.AnimState:Show("ARM_carry") 
    owner.AnimState:Hide("ARM_normal")
end

I've literarly this code above.

Uhm... nevermind... i've been impatient...

I just cut the code for the custom character lines and it worked.. weird but... I am fine with that.... :D

Thank you for your time! 

48 minutes ago, Near4422 said:

Hmm... for some reason this code doesn't allow me even compile the mod. I get error whenever i try to launch a server :c

local function onequip(inst, owner)
	if not owner:HasTag("scarecrow") then --Replace TAG with a tag only your character has

else
				return
			end	
		end)
		return
	end
    owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_scare_scythe", "scare_scythe")
    owner.AnimState:Show("ARM_carry") 
    owner.AnimState:Hide("ARM_normal")
end

I've literarly this code above.

Uhm... nevermind... i've been impatient...

I just cut the code for the custom character lines and it worked.. weird but... I am fine with that.... :D

Thank you for your time! 

Nice to see you got it working, just so you know, OnEquip already knows the owner of the item automatically, no need to define owner again like you've done with

• Like 1

Just for future reference, the post linked below explains how to make character-specific recipes and making an item like Thor's Hammer which can only be picked up by your character. Deceptively simple. Handling it in OnEquip (like the posts above) gives more flexibility, in that you can ask a friend to bring the item to you, but if the item is usable or equippable, then you could have some complex stuff to handle about who can use it etc.. If your use-case is pretty simple, which it seems this OPs is, the examples above are just fine.

Edited by Ultroman

On 3/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, Ultroman said:

Just for future reference, the post linked below explains how to make character-specific recipes and making an item like Thor's Hammer which can only be picked up by your character. Deceptively simple. Handling it in OnEquip (like the posts above) gives more flexibility, in that you can ask a friend to bring the item to you, but if the item is usable or equippable, then you could have some complex stuff to handle about who can use it etc.. If your use-case is pretty simple, which it seems this OPs is, the examples above are just fine.

Using that guide for How to make it so no one else can pick up a custom item, like Thor's hammer?

I can't seem to Generate my world when I put in that line. "Dedicated Server Failed To Start - There was some sort of trouble starting the server. Please try again.

handitem.lua

19 hours ago, asvinh said:

Using that guide for How to make it so no one else can pick up a custom item, like Thor's hammer?

I can't seem to Generate my world when I put in that line. "Dedicated Server Failed To Start - There was some sort of trouble starting the server. Please try again.

handitem.lua 2.6 kB · 0 downloads

That makes sense, since you've pasted the code in after the "return inst" line, which completes the fn() function.

Edited by Ultroman

Ahh okay, now I don't crash after placing it above return, however only the speech line works. Other characters will say the line they cant wield that but they still equip it anyway

5 hours ago, Ultroman said:

That makes sense, since you've pasted the code in after the "return inst" line, which completes the fn() function.

20 hours ago, asvinh said:

Ahh okay, now I don't crash after placing it above return, however only the speech line works. Other characters will say the line they cant wield that but they still equip it anyway

Hmm...not sure what could be wrong. Perhaps they changed the way the code works in the game. I don't have time to find the solution atm.