Can this space scanner -> bunker door automation be simpler?

I have been trying to get this automation right and I finally got something that is working, but I was wondering if there is a more elegant solution.

Basically I have two space scanners (in the image they are being represented by switches). When both of them are red (no meteors) I want the bunker doors open. When one is green, the doors stay open (don't want doors closing early wasting sunlight). When BOTH are green the doors close. After they close, they do not open again until BOTH scanners are red, ie. no meteors (to protect against accidental openings, hopefully)

So with those requirements, what I have attached works but it's kinda spaghetti messy IMO. Logic programming isn't my strong suit :D

Automation.jpg

4 hours ago, Reitar said:

Hi, I think this scheme will work

It does indeed! I never thought of negating the output of the memory toggle so I was having a hard time of it but that really does make it much simpler!

Wait, what?
Why You won't close Your bunker doors if You see meteors in any of the space scanners?
I think You should connect both (all) scanners together with automation, ten put a 'not' gate. And then a buffer/filer (i do not remember now) to slow down reaction (then directly to bunker doors). In Your grid statistic You can see how long before meteor shower You will have an indication. There is c.a 40 sec for bunker doors to close.  Calculate offset. For best grid with 100% coverage and efficiency You have 200sec before shower so filter/buffer gate should be set to 160 - 155 sec.
Don't put scanners so close to each other because they will interferer.

Here is part of my setup with 6 scanners. Bunker doors are just above top ladders.

102Percent.thumb.png.d8039f4079b5c98305a0d057ed2a0026.png

Doors will open automatically on their own.

3 minutes ago, sheaker said:

Wait, what?
Why You won't close Your bunker doors if You see meteors in any of the space scanners?
I think You should connect both (all) scanners together with automation, ten put a 'not' gate. And then a buffer/filer (i do not remember now) to slow down reaction (then directly to bunker doors). In Your grid statistic You can see how long before meteor shower You will have an indication. There is c.a 40 sec for bunker doors to close.  Calculate offset. For best grid with 100% coverage and efficiency You have 200sec before shower so filter/buffer gate should be set to 160 - 155 sec.
Don't put scanners so close to each other because they will interferer.

Here is part of my setup with 6 scanners. Bunker doors are just above top ladders.

102Percent.thumb.png.d8039f4079b5c98305a0d057ed2a0026.png

Doors will open automatically on their own.

You are right, that works fine if you have 6 scanners and 100% network... but I don't.  I have 2 because I am just starting in the space biome. The reason I want both to detect before closing doors is to reduce the amount of time the doors close early. If only one detects at 200 seconds out that is 155 seconds of doors being closed for no reason.

If I ever get around to 6 scanners I can use your method but honestly I'd rather not waste the space with more scanners right now.

14 minutes ago, KAJ3D said:

If only one detects at 200 seconds out that is 155 seconds of doors being closed for no reason.

I was sure the more scanners You have the closer You are to detect shower 200 sec before impact. So with 6 scanners and 100% network quality You always have detection 200 sec before impact but with less scanners and less quality You will get more random detection margins. I think for very poor quality network detection will be 1-200 sec before impact but for high quality network it will be 200-200 sec before impact. Isn't it like that?

23 minutes ago, sheaker said:

I was sure the more scanners You have the closer You are to detect shower 200 sec before impact. So with 6 scanners and 100% network quality You always have detection 200 sec before impact but with less scanners and less quality You will get more random detection margins. I think for very poor quality network detection will be 1-200 sec before impact but for high quality network it will be 200-200 sec before impact. Isn't it like that?

Basically each scanner on the the network adds around 33 seconds of time to the minimum time detected before meteors hit, up to 6 scanners at 200 seconds. So 1 scanner isn't enough as 33 < 45 (amount of time for doors to close). So the bare minimum you need is 2 scanners so you have 66 seconds minimum before detection. However this is just the minimum, as you said the maximum is 200 and it's just a random roll each time on when each scanner detects.

So let's say we have two scanners, for a specific meteor shower 1 of them randomly detects at 180 seconds, the other randomly detects at 89. If we close the doors at 180 we will have 135 seconds of doors being closed waiting for a shower as opposed to waiting till both detect the time waiting is 44 seconds.

Obviously both could roll unlucky and we could get 195 and 187 (for example) and we're still closing doors way too early but that's an unlucky roll I'll live with for the time being. 

The other part of my requirements is making sure both are detecting nothing before opening. It has happened where once the doors are closed that one scanner can 'lose sight' of the meteor shower and try to open the doors, I just want to make sure that both of them are reporting all clear before doing so as a safety measure. 

Finally, like you said, with a full 6 scanners you will get exactly 200 seconds warning for each meteor shower, then it's a simple filter gate set to 150 seconds and you're done.

But what if first detects meteor shower 180 sec before impact and second one only 20 s? Then there is 20 sec risk for damages. Some of them are significant.
Ok. I understand that I did not account You have those two scanners at full exposure so at worst You will get detection 66 sec before impact and at best 200 sec before impact. Now Your setup makes sense to me.

9 minutes ago, KAJ3D said:

The other part of my requirements is making sure both are detecting nothing before opening. It has happened where once the doors are closed that one scanner can 'lose sight' of the meteor shower and try to open the doors, I just want to make sure that both of them are reporting all clear before doing so as a safety measure. 

This is slightly strange to me as my scanners are always at their full exposure or covered by bunker door totally but never opened the bunker door at wrong time.  However, I see no problems with that additional security barrier. Thanks.

Archived