All clients require mod setting

Hey

I have a question about the all clients require mod setting when enabling mods on a dedicated server. As far as I recall from many years ago when I hosted my first dedicated server, you would have to restart the server every time a mod would be out of date.

What would happen if all clients require mod would be off for server mods? Would players still be able to join the server even if mods would be outdated? I'm looking for a solution to avoid restarting the server every time mods get updated, especially since I wouldn't be able to check the server status non-stop. 

Also as I recall, restarting the server doesn't restart the world, right? I'm planning to host an endless server, so if as a last resort I have to restart the server, I wouldn't like to lose the progress. 

Side question

How is this issue dealt with in client hosted DST servers (games hosted through the game itself) How do mods get updated in this situation? 

On 1/3/2021 at 12:08 PM, arheidis said:

you would have to restart the server every time a mod would be out of date

That is still the case.

What would happen if all clients require mod would be off for server mods? Would players still be able to join the server even if mods would be outdated? I'm looking for a solution to avoid restarting the server every time mods get updated, especially since I wouldn't be able to check the server status non-stop

To me that has never been an issue so far. From my observations it seems like the Steam Workshop allows servers to provide older versions of a mod as well if the server requests it. Not entirely sure about that though.

Also as I recall, restarting the server doesn't restart the world, right? I'm planning to host an endless server, so if as a last resort I have to restart the server, I wouldn't like to lose the progress. 

Correct, you can freely restart your server without losing any progress.

How is this issue dealt with in client hosted DST servers (games hosted through the game itself) How do mods get updated in this situation? 

Mods do get updated through the client in the mods section. Communication between client host and clients should be the same as between dedicated server and clients. Afaik the same applies here that the steam workshop allows the client hosted servers to download previous versions of the mod.

4 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

That is still the case.

To me that has never been an issue so far. From my observations it seems like the Steam Workshop allows servers to provide older versions of a mod as well if the server requests it. Not entirely sure about that though.

Correct, you can freely restart your server without losing any progress.

Mods do get updated through the client in the mods section. Communication between client host and clients should be the same as between dedicated server and clients. Afaik the same applies here that the steam workshop allows the client hosted servers to download previous versions of the mod.

Ok so do you recommend running the server with an 'on' setting for mod updating? You're saying that you never had issues with people being able to connect to the server when mods were outdated, right? Because I have previously experienced that and that's why I'm asking. 

2 hours ago, arheidis said:

Ok so do you recommend running the server with an 'on' setting for mod updating?

Yes. Personally I never had mods breaking due to mod updates, and instead only due to game updates when the mods weren't updated YET.

2 hours ago, arheidis said:

You're saying that you never had issues with people being able to connect to the server when mods were outdated, right? Because I have previously experienced that and that's why I'm asking. 

Maybe I was either really lucky so far then, you had a really old mod there. Who knows? xD

Archived