Caves and Master with 1 server running?

I was setting up a dedicated server and found out that there was no caves.  Looking into it I figured that you needed to have 2 servers running 1 for the caves and 1 for the Master.  But then I found another post saying that those are now integrated and you don't need to do that?

So which is it you an run everything off of 1 instance running if so how do you do that?  or do I need to have 2 instances of the game running one for the master and one for the caves? 

If you start a server from your client, it's all in one, as both the Overworld and the Caves are run from within your client.

A dedicated server/shard always has only one world. You can just run multiple server shards in parallel to host multiple worlds. By default that is the Forest and the Caves.

With dedicated Servers you can however host more individual worlds/shards in parallel, which connect to eachother. (Though that is a bit more work.)

Archived