How to save my mod data for future sessions?

Hello all,

I am making a mod where players can "progress" by feeding a character. I got the progression down and working great, with lots of help from the nice people of this forum!

However, while testing my mod, I realize that if the server is shut down and restarted, all "progress" is lost.

I'm looking for a way to save the status of the fed character, so that players don't have to start over if they take a break.

Thank you!

Thank you for the fast reply!

However, there seems to be something I don't understand.

I get the error "attempt to call method 'SavePersistentString' (a nil value)". Looking at DST's code, it looks like I'm using the function alright... so there's definitely something I don't understand. 

Here's my function :

local function OnEatFirstMeal(inst)
	local cb = function()
		--Do nothing
	end
    inst.components.eater:SetDiet({ GLOBAL.FOODTYPE.TIER2 })
	inst.components.inspectable:SetDescription("Seems like shinies are his goal. Surely, it would eat gold?")
	SpawnPrefab("red_mushroomhat").Transform:SetPosition(inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition())
	inst.components.eater:SetOnEatFn(OnEatSecondMeal)
	TheSim:SavePersistentString("meal","1",false,cb)--Save first meal
end

Do I need some sort of "include"? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you, that worked!

Now I'm at the next step : Getting the persistent string.

Here's my code

AddPrefabPostInit("mole", function(inst)
	TheSim:GetPersistentString("meal",
			function(load_success, str)
				if load_success and str == "1" then
					-- Do stuff
				end
			end)
end)

For some reason, whenever I resume an existing server, my mod crashes during the loading with the error : 

attempt to index global 'TheSim' (a nil value)

On the second line of my function. This occurs regardless of the "meal" persistent string existing or not.

I checked and double checked my syntax : it looks like it's fine. Is it because I can't call "TheSim" during the PostInit?

Thanks again for all the help!

That worked!

but that raises two questions : 

1. Why do I sometimes need to call "Global" before "TheSim", and sometimes I don't need to?

2. The persistent string is saved across games. So even if I erase my game and start a new one, my progress remains. How can I prevent this?

Thanks a lot for the help as always!

Maybe tie a specific identifier to each world, and use that to make sure the progress is correct for each save.

Ok. Is there documentation somewhere that would help me find a way to do this?

I feel like if I could access the game's name, and/or the eater instance's ID, I could make it a part of the string and basically make my persistent string related to that specific game.